Dogs started pooping in the house

Hi guys,

My bitch has pooped in the house 3 times in 24hrs. She's always been a clean little dog to date and doesn't seem ill in anyway could it be a behavioural issue? The poop seems normally formed, no diarrhea or anything abnormal about it other than it's out of character.

We had twins in jan and the past week they've been pretty much non stop crying, it's caused me and my wife to be snappy with each other, we've been arguing a fair bit as a result. Is it possible this is the cause? Or has her nose been put out by all the extra attention the babies have had this week?

I wouldn't mind but she's one of them dogs that walks as she's pooping, not too bad when she did it on the landing but I nearly lost it when she'd walked the length of the dining room last night leaving it dotted about!!

I don't believe in shouting/smacking a dog for messing so how can I deter her as it can't go on.

Cheers

Gary

I don’t keep any of my dogs in the house, but maybe an outdoor run for the daytime may be a thought, you could still bring her in of an evening.

I do feel for you with the twins, my twin boys are 36 now but I still remember how difficult it was when they were young :sad1:

It will get easier :yes:

Good luck with the twins and the dog. :good:

Edited by Actionpigeons

Sounds daft to some but dogs do worry and get stressed in such situations, Like AP mentioned an outside run or similar will give it a rest bite. Also look to its food, feeding times and exercise. A change to a lower digestible food will create more need to poop and a drop in outside exercise might give the dog few options. If nothing changes or your still worried get it to the vet for a look over.

Hard work parenting little ones isn't it just and two at once first time over I am not envious. I remember being left with our first alone at a few weeks old when my wife had to go on a long trip up Scotland for a full day. When she returned late the same evening I had my crying baby daughter in my arm suffering from bad colic hadn't eaten, dressed or even got to brush my teeth, its funny now she is nearly 15 but it wasn't at the time. Just glad I didn't have the old dog to sort at the same time and I know she would have been stressed out by it

Hi guys,

My bitch has pooped in the house 3 times in 24hrs. She's always been a clean little dog to date and doesn't seem ill in anyway could it be a behavioural issue? The poop seems normally formed, no diarrhea or anything abnormal about it other than it's out of character.

We had twins in jan and the past week they've been pretty much non stop crying, it's caused me and my wife to be snappy with each other, we've been arguing a fair bit as a result. Is it possible this is the cause? Or has her nose been put out by all the extra attention the babies have had this week?

I wouldn't mind but she's one of them dogs that walks as she's pooping, not too bad when she did it on the landing but I nearly lost it when she'd walked the length of the dining room last night leaving it dotted about!!

I don't believe in shouting/smacking a dog for messing so how can I deter her as it can't go on.

Cheers

Gary

definitely a dirty protest

I see you dont believe in shouting at or hitting your dog. But are you letting it know that this behaviour is just not on??? If theres no medical reason for it, then im afraid you just have to impress the 'house' rules on it.

pernod

I see you dont believe in shouting at or hitting your dog. But are you letting it know that this behaviour is just not on??? If theres no medical reason for it, then im afraid you just have to impress the 'house' rules on it.

pernod

Hi,

By shouting I mean screaming like a mad man at her. I call her to the area or grab her and carry her there, hold her head looking at it and tell her 'that's naughty, no!' Or 'you dirty little dog' In a raised firm voice. Doesn't sound much but it's enough for her to run off to her bed or under the table to hide and lay quivering.

She's about 9 years old and spayed, we've got her from a rescue centre about 4 years ago. We had a few incidences when we first got her but it turned out to be Un-diagnosed epilepsy (or undisclosed by the rescue centre). Once we got her medicated and fits under control the messing stopped. She's had her meds upped a few months back as she's been fitting more regularly and has seemed fine since.

I've just spent what was meant to be my shooting day washing carpets which has annoyed me even more.

Thanks for the replies do far.

It may be "stress" related my cocker bitch is very sensitive to arguing of any kind even kids messing about if the tone of voice seems angry to her. Luckily she just goes and hides.

If it happens again try using white vinegar mixed 50/50 with water to spray when cleaning up rather than ammonia based cleaners.

I wonder if the smell of dirty nappies has anything to do with it, she may be scent marking. To her it may be the smell of nappies is the twins scent mark. Just a thought trying to look at it from her point of veiw

I shouldn't punish a dog for this I should find out why, its been clean before- A dog is not so calculating as to do it to get back at you. If anything you might make it worse. At 9 yrs I think its best to speak to the vet if you can stand on and say you haven't changed the food or the routine of exercise, its medical or stress related.