Tips for job interview

chady

Oh we earn it Mentalmac, we earn it...lol.....Up at 06:00 every morning, nit home til 19:00 at night, sit a sauna all summer, freezer all winter...lol....oh biy we earn it...lol.....

Haha! Sounds like fun!

To be fair I can't complain - except from having to work my clients time zone rather than normal, I do get to go on many a nice exotic business trip to other shows.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you in the construction trade then I take it?

Oh we earn it Mentalmac, we earn it...lol.....Up at 06:00 every morning, nit home til 19:00 at night, sit a sauna all summer, freezer all winter...lol....oh biy we earn it...lol.....

Interview went well I think, was told that I was an interesting candidate by the lead interviewer after asking the ' one chance to convince' question posted on here (he also mentioned that he had never been asked such a question previously), but that can be taken two ways I guess, and was given some advice regarding the second round interview when being shown out by the second guy.

But who knows??

Just have to wait to see if I get a call from the recruitment agency.

Best of luck for your big day Monday week.

How did you get on??

Interview went well I think, was told that I was an interesting candidate by the lead interviewer after asking the ' one chance to convince' question posted on here (he also mentioned that he had never been asked such a question previously), but that can be taken two ways I guess, and was given some advice regarding the second round interview when being shown out by the second guy.

But who knows??

Just have to wait to see if I get a call from the recruitment agency.

Best of luck for your big day Monday week.

Welldone - that sounds good news and hope you hear back :-).

Think sometimes interviewers like it when people are not the same as everyone else. i.e "what are your strengths" promotes all the usual answers - when there's a bunch of you being interviewed you need to stand out from the crowd a bit I feel. I am blunt and haven't a fear in the world in an interview as I believe that what will happen will happen and just to go in and be me. Sometimes you get a good panel who have a sense of humour and you can use that to your aide and they see you out from the crowd (Dependant on situation!) I had a great time in an interview once and was all fun and amusing and one of the interviewers asked me "What would your current team say about you if we asked them" and I responded jokingly "You'd be hard pressed to contact them, they are all on sick leave with stress" and held a serious face for all of 2 seconds and then everyone was in hysterics and the MD gave me the job at the end of the interview as he 'felt relaxed enough and felt I would 'fit right in' with the team'. Others are much more solemn affairs with lots of forlorn faces glaring around the table, shame.

Sory if any of the below has been covered, there were too many responses to read fully.

Im a recruitment consultant and i would recommend that you have a look at the STAR technique - its a method for answering questions that ensures you cover the bases in competency based interviews. I would recommend all candidates read up on this so they can answer questions properly and sound credible. Highly recommend this!!!

Have a read of this and goodle STAR Technique and it will help you. http://www.interview-skills.co.uk/competency-based-interviews-STAR.aspx

Situation

Task

Action

Result

Make sure you understand the business properly. Dont just guess, we have people coming to National Grid saying that NG are a energy generator / supplier - neither is correct!,

Make sure you are smart and clean, try not to smoke (if you do) it does nothing to help nerves really, just pumps your blood pressure up making it more likely that you will sweat.

Make sure you are 15 mins early, it will help settle nerves, however dont ask reception for your contact straight away as this could rush your interviewer and sub conciously annoy them.

Ask for water when asked if you would like a drink, even if you dont want it, it can help buy you time to think if asked a hard question! Dont ask for coffee / tea, its a pain in the back side if you spil any and it burns.... nerves can make you do all sorts of stupid things.

Have a couple of questions planned for them. Dont make them about Holiday / Breaks / Working hours as this shows you are looking to be lazy! These items will be clarfied to you at offer stage (should you be offered the role) Ask about a recent item of news you read about them online or something like how long the interviewers have been in the company and what they like / love about it etc.

And rememeber! Most intervieweers are just as nervous if fact more so than the interviewee!

Dont waffle, be aware if you are talking over people or just talking to avoid the question. Also dont be afraid to ask for the question again if you get blinded by it, do not avoid the question by going off on a tangent.

But most importantly, be yourself, be friendly and likable, just relax! Most interviewers make a decision in the first minute of the meeting, they want to know if they can work with you. Dont swear!

Hope this helps, please feel free to PM me if you like if you have anything you would like to ask more about.

Tim

Sory if any of the below has been covered, there were too many responses to read fully.

Im a recruitment consultant and i would recommend that you have a look at the STAR technique - its a method for answering questions that ensures you cover the bases in competency based interviews. I would recommend all candidates read up on this so they can answer questions properly and sound credible. Highly recommend this!!!

Have a read of this and goodle STAR Technique and it will help you. http://www.interview-skills.co.uk/competency-based-interviews-STAR.aspx

Situation

Task

Action

Result

Make sure you understand the business properly. Dont just guess, we have people coming to National Grid saying that NG are a energy generator / supplier - neither is correct!,

Make sure you are smart and clean, try not to smoke (if you do) it does nothing to help nerves really, just pumps your blood pressure up making it more likely that you will sweat.

Make sure you are 15 mins early, it will help settle nerves, however dont ask reception for your contact straight away as this could rush your interviewer and sub conciously annoy them.

Ask for water when asked if you would like a drink, even if you dont want it, it can help buy you time to think if asked a hard question! Dont ask for coffee / tea, its a pain in the back side if you spil any and it burns.... nerves can make you do all sorts of stupid things.

Have a couple of questions planned for them. Dont make them about Holiday / Breaks / Working hours as this shows you are looking to be lazy! These items will be clarfied to you at offer stage (should you be offered the role) Ask about a recent item of news you read about them online or something like how long the interviewers have been in the company and what they like / love about it etc.

And rememeber! Most intervieweers are just as nervous if fact more so than the interviewee!

Dont waffle, be aware if you are talking over people or just talking to avoid the question. Also dont be afraid to ask for the question again if you get blinded by it, do not avoid the question by going off on a tangent.

But most importantly, be yourself, be friendly and likable, just relax! Most interviewers make a decision in the first minute of the meeting, they want to know if they can work with you. Dont swear!

Hope this helps, please feel free to PM me if you like if you have anything you would like to ask more about.

Tim

Failed!, just read the post above to see that you have already had it lol.

No, that was Penelope's interview - Chady's interview is soon :-).

This thread has covered more than one person which is nice.

Oh lol sorry about that, well i hope that the info helps people out. I would really recommend the STAR stuff though, as it is the best way to answer competency based questions in any industry.

Oh lol sorry about that, well i hope that the info helps people out. I would really recommend the STAR stuff though, as it is the best way to answer competency based questions in any industry.

Does seem interesting - just googled it.

Interesting what you say about turning up early for interview but not asking receptionist to bother the interviewer.

We were expecting an interview once at 1500 and at 1459 we had a call to say he was there and we both said "corr, he's cutting it fine". Perhaps we are the anomaly :-)

I followed the lead interviewer into the building yesterday and was behind him when he signed in with reception. When my turn to sign in came the receptionist asked who I was seeing and shouted to the chap to let him know I was there, when I mentioned his name. It did put me on the spot a little as the interviewer acknowledged that I had caught him on the hop so to speak, the second interviewer was 15 minutes late due to a work matter he had to resolve, and arrived once we were underway. I arrived there at 12:24 for a 1pm interview.

Interesting what you say about turning up early for interview but not asking receptionist to bother the interviewer.

We were expecting an interview once at 1500 and at 1459 we had a call to say he was there and we both said "corr, he's cutting it fine". Perhaps we are the anomaly :-)

I followed the lead interviewer into the building yesterday and was behind him when he signed in with reception. When my turn to sign in came the receptionist asked who I was seeing and shouted to the chap to let him know I was there, when I mentioned his name. It did put me on the spot a little as the interviewer acknowledged that I had caught him on the hop so to speak, the second interviewer was 15 minutes late due to a work matter he had to resolve, and arrived once we were underway. I arrived there at 12:24 for a 1pm interview.

nice :-).

I find myself very early for interviews, I tend to sight the building and then go for a drink nearby and then turn up around 15 mins early haha. Hate lateness though to be fair.

Thanks it really appreciated!

I'll have a look into that star as well and research it.

Thanks

Situation

Task

Action

Result

Tim

Failed!, just read the post above to see that you have already had it lol.

My favorite saying/phrase

".....You never get a second chance to make a first impression......"

No idea who came up with this, but I think it's a great one, and one I clearly and often use....good luck and let us know how you do.

Or, 'First impressions matter, but last impressions count'.

My favorite saying/phrase

".....You never get a second chance to make a first impression......"

No idea who came up with this, but I think it's a great one, and one I clearly and often use....good luck and let us know how you do.

You are correct 1 min before is no good. 5 mins is perfect really, its only a small thing but I know when people turn up 15 /30 mins early for a meeting i feel like i should rush to meet them, I don't but its not great lol

Edited by Tim85

• 2 weeks later...

Oh sorry to hear that. I did wounder how you got on..

The last job I went for I did not get.

You can just do your best and that's all you can do I surpose.

Keep on trying I'm sure something will come up.

It's still a tough game out there.

Well thanks all for your help guys.

It's All done!

I will know by the end of the week.

Don't know what to expect. I was the first of 5 so could not get much out of them.

I'll let you know the results

Thanks all