SGC renewal Referee question

Zeus

The below was taken from my licencing authorities guidance notes -

The referee(s) who have agreed to act for you must have known you personally for at least two years and must be resident in Great Britain. Referees must not be a member of your family, a registered firearms dealer, a serving police officer or police employee. Referees must be of good character and any references they agree to provide must be given freely and not on payment.

My question is, would my girlfriend be classed as family to the authority?

We have been together over two years, have a mortgage together, and she is a social worker.

atb

Zeus

She is as good as being your wife, so no I doubt it.

Steady on there!......Im in control of my bank account lol.

I did suspect that it wouldn't be acceptable and that is the case as I have just phoned to check. The staff member I spoke with stated that a partner would be classed as family.

I do have my original reference still in place and ready to provide it again......just wanted it clarified.

If you use a different referee, then the police might just contact the old referee from 5 yrs ago to ask why you aren't using them again this time. If there's been a falling out, it can be telling.

I actually had this with my last SGC renewal. One of my old referees I rarely see, and I actually had a chat with him explaining that I didn't feel entirely comfortable asking him to referee for me as I might go a year at a time between seeing him. He agreed with me, and I nominated someone else. Couple of weeks later, police phoned him up to ask why he wasn't on the form.

If you use a different referee, then the police might just contact the old referee from 5 yrs ago to ask why you aren't using them again this time. If there's been a falling out, it can be telling.

I actually had this with my last SGC renewal. One of my old referees I rarely see, and I actually had a chat with him explaining that I didn't feel entirely comfortable asking him to referee for me as I might go a year at a time between seeing him. He agreed with me, and I nominated someone else. Couple of weeks later, police phoned him up to ask why he wasn't on the form.

That's a good point. I will be using the same referee as on my last two forms (application and renewal)

Zeus

what rubbish, you may not see the old ref for a long time,the one that signed mine the last 2 times, was my manager he has now moved off, and iv not seen him for over a year,so next time i will get a mate to do it.

And, as I said, the police MIGHT contact the old referee to ask why they are not being nominated this time. I don't see what issues you seem to have with the police doing that. After all, if (some) police forces had done their jobs properly, then incidents like Durham, Newport, etc might have been averted.

It's a reasonable course of action for the police to take. "Hi, Mr Smith. You were down as the referee for Mr Jones when he applied for his SGC a few years ago. His renewal is now due, and we notice that he hasn't put you down as his referee this time. Do you still know him ?" (if the reply is 'no, we had a bit of a falling out' then the police can look at the applicant a little more closely). If it's a matter of 'No, I retired / moved away / had kids, so no time really' then that's all fine.