Guns in Slips

Alex1Nat2

Mine is closed but as shown to me by my shooting instructor so the the barrels are fully open tipped upside down so should there be any cartridges in the barrels they would fall out. Which had me thinking if someone did leave cartridges in there if they did fall out and hit a corner of a stone on the primer would they go off??

NO.

Why not? If the primer hit an upturned flint point, why wouldn't it go bang?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? If the primer hit an upturned flint point, why wouldn't it go bang?

Even if the primer does go off it won't lead to anything like the sort of thing that happens when it's inside a chamber because that's where the pressures build up with only one way out. Primers vary in power and sound when they do go and although the powder may catch fire, the most that usually happens is a split case or a partially opened up crimp with shot spilling out.

I used to shoot live shells with air guns as a youngster and it's surprisingly difficult to manage ignition as you have to hit the primer almost centrally. Do not place the shell in a tight fitting tree hollow though, :yes::lol: unless you have the reaction times of Bruce Lee.

Even if the primer does go off it won't lead to anything like the sort of thing that happens when it's inside a chamber because that's where the pressures build up with only one way out. Primers vary in power and sound when they do go and although the powder may catch fire, the most that usually happens is a split case or a partially opened up crimp with shot spilling out.

I used to shoot live shells with air guns as a youngster and it's surprisingly difficult to manage ignition as you have to hit the primer almost centrally. Do not place the shell in a tight fitting tree hollow though, :yes::lol: unless you have the reaction times of Bruce Lee.

I was pretty much certain it was possible, only needs to strike the primer hard enough, had often wondered what the effect would be though. Had imagined everything from a ball bearing mini bomb effect, through to a rattling as all the shot fell to the floor having gone nowhere!

You do realise that I am actually looking for a 12 gauge size hole in a tree now!!!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

This works for me

Oops I left someone out!

Safe accepted practice says a lot

About the way guns should be carried before they are shot.

Traditionalists should come to no harm with

Empty and open and over the arm

There is closed in a slip which some do prefer

Or perhaps over the shoulder if with caution you err

With muzzles aloft and with breech flags seen

Self-loaders and pumps are as safe on the scene

But for your fellow shooters please do have a care

By being forever muzzle aware

Negligence adopted left unchallenged will lead

To an accident happening when there is no need

Always remember the watchword is safe

Whether the gun is in or out of its case!

Edited by STOTTO