Guns in Slips

Alex1Nat2

Went to Doveridge today for the first time.

Enjoyed the targets & shot ok however....

I was surprised at the number of shooters carry guns out of slips.

I shoot at 5 or 6 different grounds & it's standard to leave guns in slips until you shoot then replace back in slip.

At least half the guns had obviously taken their guns out of the slips from the car but didn't use then at the ground, just walking around with gun over shoulder etc.

I found it very strange.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only use a slip if it's raining otherwise find it a distraction and extra load to carry around. I see plenty of people carry them on their shoulder and it's fine by me as long as they're careful, you can be clumsy with a slip so live and let live.

Regarding clays hitting the stock, well thank goodness it didn't hit me or others is my take and lets face it it would have to be a particularly poorly set up stand to allow that. The other day I broke the last incomer at Southdown and I was already outside the stand talking to others when a fragment hit my right hand and stock fore end, no marks anywhere and a slip wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

I use a slip on clays is if I am shooting in a large group. I just sling it over my shoulder when I'm done shooting a stand and can forget about it. If I'm going quickly from stand to stand I don't bother.

Also, if I'm shooting a semi auto I use a slip because I can't be bothered with a breech flag. If people can't see it's a semi, they're not worried if it's loaded or not :yes:

I always thought that out of slip was generally preferred. Is it not required at CPSA shoots?

A gun which is visible, and open can be seen by all to be safe. A gun stored closed in a slip cannot. Especially if carrying the slip like a suitcase with the gun barrels pointing horizontally.

If its raining, your gun will get wet when you shoot with it. Then you will put it in the slip until the next stand, and the inside of your slip gets wet. Then you drive home for an hour with a gun in a wet slip.....

I think carrying over the shoulder can sometimes be frowned upon too. Especially at busy shoots, where a but slung over the shoulder.

Personally I carry mine broken over my arm. I find it extra hassle to keep taking it in and out.

ive only been to four clay grounds but at all of them the guns are generally out of the case at the car, one of the grounds ive seen a couple of people carry guns inslips but theyare very few and far between

I taught my son to use a slip inbetween stands.

A while ago an almost new Betinsolli came into the shop as a part exchange. Martin soon had his name on it.

We arrived at Kelbrook to have a shoot and try his new to him gun. He took the gun out of the hard case and shouldered the gun as many clay shooters do.

I reminded him about the slip, his answer was " it be reet"

A couple of stands in, his gun was in one of the racks provided. A clay broke overhead, resulting in the rack being splattered with clay fragments.

I took my gun from the rack in its slip and shot; when young webber grasped his gun he was rather upset to see a sizable gauge in the stock. I explained what the defect had done to the value of his gun and told him how he could rectify the defect, and suggested someone to sort it for him.

Much water has passed under the bridge since then, the gauge is still in situ, but I no longer need to remind him to slip his gun; he has a seemingly permanent aide-memoire.

I always thought that out of slip was generally preferred. Is it not required at CPSA shoots?

A gun which is visible, and open can be seen by all to be safe. A gun stored closed in a slip cannot. Especially if carrying the slip like a suitcase with the gun barrels pointing horizontally.

If its raining, your gun will get wet when you shoot with it. Then you will put it in the slip until the next stand, and the inside of your slip gets wet. Then you drive home for an hour with a gun in a wet slip.....

I think carrying over the shoulder can sometimes be frowned upon too. Especially at busy shoots, where a but slung over the shoulder.

Personally I carry mine broken over my arm. I find it extra hassle to keep taking it in and out.

That is a very valid point so it makes sense to carry a rag to dry the gun off as it makes it easier to shoot with anyway, also on really wet days I would place the dried off gun on top of clothing etc, in the boot and not in a wet slip.

Broken and over my arm or shoulder.

Nothing more frustrating than following a big group who all have their guns in slips and insist on putting them away each time, maybe only walking 100 yards to the next stand and going throught the whole process of unslipping and slipping guns. Then when they have watched a few guys in front and then get on to stand decide that they need to change chokes as well.

Not sure about other grounds up and down the land but I'd like to see a bit more ettiquete as in golf. If there is a group of 4 or more shooters they should let a pair behind go first. Even more so if the foursome have all got slips.

That is a very valid point so it makes sense to carry a rag to dry the gun off as it makes it easier to shoot with anyway, also on really wet days I would place the dried off gun on top of clothing etc, in the boot and not in a wet slip.

it is illegal to carry your gun in the boot when not in slip

it is illegal to carry your gun in the boot when not in slip

No it is not.

Last season a wildfowler was stopped by the police due to having his gun on the backseat drying out ( fans built into the seat ). After getting the cuffs on and getting the armed responce out, they let him go as he had committed no offence.

Edited by Big Mat