Guns in Slips

Alex1Nat2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is illegal to carry your gun in the boot when not in slip

Where did you gain that wonderful piece of knowledge?

It is perfectly legal to have an unslipped gun in your boot, you would possibly enter in to illegality if you parked the car and took the unslipped gun out in a public place.

Where did you gain that wonderful piece of knowledge?

It is perfectly legal to have an unslipped gun in your boot, you would possibly enter in to illegality if you parked the car and took the unslipped gun out in a public place.

As long as it's unloaded even that's not illegal.

It's certainly not advisable in an urban situation, but it's not illegal.

When on the shooting ground, I prefer to see them carried broken over the arm and not slung over the shoulder as it is far too easy to turn around and give someone a belt with the stock. I have seen it happen many a time in a crowded area.

Totally agree with the comments about refraining from placing a wet gun in a slip as it doesn't take long for rust to eat through the bluing on the barrels. Always give the gun a good wipe down before placing back in the slip, I learnt the hard way years ago after wildfowling. :whistling:

Wet day I use a slip wipe it down between stands, when I'm done gun is dried with a towel at the back of the car wiped over with an oily cloth then put into it's case slip is fully opened to dry and will stay that way for at home until totally dry.

Gun is then full cleaned when I get home ejectors out etc.

I see both. At my normal places everyone slips between stands (all sporting) but maybe it's because we're rougher up north and hang the gun slips on fence posts and branches, none of those fancy la-de-da gun racks at every stand here!

When visiting down south I see more the opposite, then again those clubs tend to have a trap layout too which doesn't really involve and moving around.

Edited by joe1978

Have always thought that an OPEN gun draped over your arm, is safer than a CLOSED gun in a slip,

have even seen people put cartridges in the gun instead of snap caps,

My favourite is when people come out of the stand (with an empty gun), close it then spend 2 minutes talking, and looking for the slip while pointing the closed gun at all and sundry.

kermit

as long as is safe/barrel awareness I don't mind either.personally use slip,but as above some people are worrying when putting in/withdrawing from a gunslip and somehow forget barrel awareness just because it is in a slip.....safety is a routine for most and barrel awareness v important for slipped guns,especially as we all know they are closed guns.....

as for a gun in boot,no problem as long as the car not left unattended.Certainly not illegal to carry your gun in your car without it being in a case/slip..most folk use slips/cases as they protect the gun against knocks/moving around in boot etc..if I am driving any distance guns go in cases,if just popping up the road slip is fine.I don't carry unslipped purely to avoid knocks..nought to do with the Law. Clearly different if gun left unattended/overnight etc.

It might be overkill but when I went on an experience day the female instructor carried in a slip from stand to stand but what she did do was open the barrels, put it in the slip barrel first and then closed the shotgun up. Then when she got it out broke the barrels before removing it from the slip. Suppose this way its always an open gun until the very last minute.

It might be overkill but when I went on an experience day the female instructor carried in a slip from stand to stand but what she did do was open the barrels, put it in the slip barrel first and then closed the shotgun up. Then when she got it out broke the barrels before removing it from the slip. Suppose this way its always an open gun until the very last minute.

I think she is spot on.

I think she is spot on.

I think it's way OTT. In clay shooting you finish a stand break and empty the gun (remembering not to load it again) walk over to your slip and close the gun in order to place it inside the case. Then you walk to the next stand which is often no more than a few yards away and unless you suspect someone has managed to quietly sneak into the slip and put a couple of live shells in there the reality is regardless of how many times you remove the gun, put it back back and remove it again :| the gun will be found to be EMPTY.

If you can't trust yourself to have slipped the gun in an empty state you ought to reappraise your basic safety awareness in other words.

Please understand that I am not advocating closing the gun and waving it at people before or whilst removing it but a gun put in the slip when empty will be empty when retrieved.

I never assume any gun is empty.even if I put it away etc..even if its for the sake of others I think breaking it is good..they did not put it in your slip/they don't know its empty........a gun is only empty in my eyes when broken and proven to be empty.

As well as for safety and having had clay a clay come down on my gun (I was glad it was in a slip at the time). The wind was up and blowing clays about a bit, the gun wasnt damaged but the slip still has the purfect circle mark of where the clay struck. Ive see a few unslipped guns get damaged at clay grounds and as it takes me a long time to save for a gun and assosiated parts I do what I can to look after them, so I usually slip betweent stands which also means the gun can be some where safe while waiting to shoot and resting your arms ready for you turn.

Thats the way it is supposed to be done, open slip draw the stock out, open the action draw out the barrels gun isnt closed until it on point ready to fire or barrels are back in the slip and chamber empty....

Also you never hand anyone a closed a gun or accept a closed gun from anyone.......

Edited by HDAV

This is the correct way to do it.

That's the CPSA method.

That's the right way, other people can see the gun is safe.