Applying For My FAC (which gun)

dadrew

Hi, now that I have a nice new permission of around 1000 acres, I'm thinking of applying for my FAC as I want to go and do some lamping. This raises a couple of questions for me

1. Im under the impression that in order to be granted an FAC I must have a permission to shoot on or belong to a gun club. Is this correct?

2. I'm really only after a rimfire right now, to that end could someone reccomend a decent "starter gun", nothing expensive as I cant afford it. And the kind of price I should be paying.

Thanks

22 lr or 17hmr or get both ,22 for vermin out to 80 yrds ,and the hmr for longer shots .

22 amo is cheap about £5.50 for Winchester subs for 50

17hmr £13.00 for a box of 50.

or go the whole hog and put in for 223 for fox

and 243 for deer . would prob have to do a dsc1 for that.

got all 4 on first application ,but had to do dsc1 for the 243.

can get a nice cz setup second hand for £350 ish

Edited by neillfrbs

With a written letter of permission from the landowner to say you can shoot vermin on his land then you should get a .22LR and most likely a .17MHR without any problems, so long as you are a sensible guy without a whole host of recent convictions or mental health issues.

A CZ 452 in either caliber will cost you around £250 upwards complete with scope and moderator. When applying for an FAC remember to include "moderator' for each caliber you ask for.

17hmr all the way. Got 22 lr and 17hmr. 22 ricochets like hell in dry hard conditions always make sure of my back stop etc but always makes me cringe when I hear that ping! Hmr bullet jus seems to disappear on impact with any thing, jus seems safer. More range with hmr too! My longest is 198 yard carrion crow, puff!! I know people have had longer shots than this but that's my pb at the moment. Bullets bit more expensive granted but I think it's worth it.

17hmr all the way. Got 22 lr and 17hmr. 22 ricochets like hell in dry hard conditions always make sure of my back stop etc but always makes me cringe when I hear that ping! Hmr bullet jus seems to disappear on impact with any thing, jus seems safer. More range with hmr too! My longest is 198 yard carrion crow, puff!! I know people have had longer shots than this but that's my pb at the moment. Bullets bit more expensive granted but I think it's worth it.

+1 17hmr all the way for me as well. With the right moderator they aren't particularly noisy either.

Paul

Wish my DM80 was that quiet! My hmr isn't noisy, but as above, you simply can't get rid of the crack.

In an ideal world, get both .22lr and .17hmr, but if on a budget, start with the .22lr. You can learn loads about rifle shooting from the calibre and as has been stated, it's cheap to run.

CZ 452 is a cracking gun for not much money.

You will need a signed permission as this is included with your application and 2 referees of 'standing' after that, with 1000 acres you will have no problems.

You may struggle with a .243, that will depend on the police view of your land's suitability. but thats only a maybe - different areas -different approaches. Gun club and you wont necessarily get expanding ammo. Dont forget to ask for a moderator for the rifle of choice since they are the subject of a grant.

Calibre is a difficult one, you know your land but if its undulating, I would go for/try for, a ,17 hornet - good for fox, rabbit, hares etc. its a centrefire but you could get lucky. I would try also for a .17HMR if ranges are 100yds and beyond and the land is slightly undulating or more so. they are noisy and cant be fully suppressed but better than any centrefire for noise.

Finally I would also go for a .22LR with mod and use hollow point or 'grenade' ammo which expand or breakup as solid lead tends to ricochet in the most unlikely situations.

If you are tight for cash - I am too, start with an application for 2 or 3 rifles and mods and submit a variation when you wish to (or at renewal) for a centrefire. The other possibility is an FAC air which is a useful tool in and around farm buildings, if you are tight for cash the best alrounder as you say is the .22LR. Remember that applying and getting a range of guns doesnt commit you to purchase, just the possibility of it so if you ask for 3 and buy only 2 or 1, you will have established your suitability for those guns. Have a .22LR /..17MR for 2 years and your wait to get a .223 on open cert will be less.

Edited by Kes

Guys Im going to show my inexperience now so please bear with me. i'm reading lots of different things here, a lot of abbreviations

.22rf = rimfire?

.22lr = ?

.17mr =?

.17 Hmr = ?

.17MHR = ?

Bit of a jungle, help me out please.

22 RF - rimfire

22 LR - Long rifle (also rimfire - same as above.

There is only one .17 HMR (rimfire)as far as I am aware, there are other .17's like the hornet (centrefire), fireball etc

Just 2 rifles

Edited by Kes