fac air or nout

Evening all,

Had my feo call today finally after 8 weeks from postage date and 4 weeks of cashing the cheque to tell me the land I was told was passed for 22lr, by Staffordshire firearms, is actually not and will only be passed for 22 fac air.

I have other land I can shoot air on but not lr, but will only be to my advantage if it's an open ticket, most likely won't be! Do I know settle for fac air, not my first choice, or try other options, possibly hushpower 20g as I'll be restricted to that land anyway?

My perms are all golf courses, will only be for rabbit, mostly at night and they are quite lamp shy due to poachers!

Thanks

Ground is parallel with motorway but don't shoot that way anyway, also next to a county park/nature reserve but is a long course, can always shoot down or to a bank. I can shoot air over there at the moment, sub 12 but wanted that bit extra from the lr, fac air won't give me exactly what I desired. Also the cost of a fac air puts me off them when you take into account the whole kit!! That's why I was thinking maybe 20g hushpower but I have no experience with them, I do have sgc!

I assume your golf courses are surrounded by housing, Lamp shy rabbits need NV then they don`t know your there, I`ve just bought a yukon photon 5x42 digital night vision £399 worth every penny, they are ok out to 40-50 yds with their own IR light source I bought additional light source to take me out to 100 yds+.

I`ve seen a couple second hand for less money.

good luck mate

Strange, its around 200 acres with loads of safe shooting yet won't pass according to feo!

Truly cheesed off!

I have a 9 hole golf course and didn`t have a problem passed for .22rf, this might sound stupid but does the FEO understand that all your shooting will be after dark.

how about a couple of high seats,

I understand you're a bit ****** off not getting 22lr accepted. :yes: But don't throw your toys out of the pram, FAC air is definitely worth it. There are plenty out there for not much more than a rimfire . I'm lucky enough to have a fair chunk of land to shoot over, and the FAC air gets more use/bags than all the shotguns/,22lr/.17hmr. I have an open licence, so can use it on the smallest of perms that are a bit much for the sub 12 HW100. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 20g hushpower. Had one, too bulky, still noisy and IMHO,you won't increase bag on your golf course with one over an air rifle as you are still talking sub 12 air rifle ranges and the disturbance that goes with a shotgun.

Get yourself an FAC air to start with, 28/30 ftlbs. Good out to 60 yards and more if you are competent :yes: Very quiet, and there is a chance they might give you an open cert for the air from the off. Seems a lot of forces do. That will open more opportunities.

In the meantime, there is nothing to lose by asking your shooting org/BASC for advice as the others have said. Rimfires are good, but they are not the be all and end all.

Edited by turbo33

Thanks for all the replies, I'll still be pursuing the 20g hush, if it doesn't work for the golf course it will be fine on the rats around the barns.

I'll also apply for the fac air.

That could be the reason your FEO said no to a rimfire :hmm: