Car speakers

rimfire4969

I am putting a coverted 1960's car radio in my 1964 Sunbeam Alpine. Its converted so i can get FM and also plug my phone into it. Clever bit of stuff. Now i need some speakers to go in the new door panels, since i last bought car speakers in 1985 they seemed to have moved on to a point in time that my small brain does not understand. 2 way, 3 way, tweeters, woofers, barkers, bass the list seems endless.

All i want is 2 speakers one in each door and be loud enough to hear the radio with the roof down. The smaller the better, how much wattage output do i need, plus any key words i can use on a sales person to impress them with my knowledge and be down with the fast and furious want to be's.

Any help would be great from the younger members on here, anyone who knows what a gramophone is or still listens to the wireless should think carefully before answering.

basic 2 way set up will suit you best.

it means the speaker will have a mid/bass speaker with a little tweeter moulded above it.

if you start running 3 way speakers then you'll end up needing cross overs mounted to door cards and stuff... not what you want in a classic car really...

with regrads to wattage, dont pay much attention to what is on the boxes, its all bull carp.

key words and questions would be things like "what is the true RMS?" and "how many ohms?" and most importantly "will they make my ears bleed by being over tinny?" (ignore the last one.....)

i can see how much a basic but good set up is through work if you want buddy?

Edited by brett1985

basic 2 way set up will suit you best.

it means the speaker will have a mid/bass speaker with a little tweeter moulded above it.

if you start running 3 way speakers then you'll end up needing cross overs mounted to door cards and stuff... not what you want in a classic car really...

with regrads to wattage, dont pay much attention to what is on the boxes, its all bull carp.

key words and questions would be things like "what is the true RMS?" and "how many ohms?" and most importantly "will they make my ears bleed by being over tinny?" (ignore the last one.....)

i can see how much a basic but good set up is through work if you want buddy?

I think I may be sorted but thanks for the offer.

Do you know what size speakers were originally in there?

My guess would be either 4" or 5". Keep to the same size bearing in mind the bigger the speaker the bigger the magnet behind and this could foul the window mechanism. Also fitting the same size speaker will save you hassle fitting them.

2 or 3 way is fine, and regards wattage, I would go around double the output of your stereo. 3 way speakers does not mean you will need crossovers!

Make sure you wire the positive and negative correctly on both speakers else the sound will be compromised.

More than happy to help more if you have more questions, feel free to pm me and I can give you my number if it's easier to chat.

Cos

What is the output of the converted headunit? door card speakers come in various capacity........ If the headunit has a decent enough output then some 2/3 ways in the door cards will be enough.

http://www.bassjunkies.com/car-audio-dab/car-speakers/coaxial-speakers/jl-audio-c2-400x

http://www.bassjunkies.com/car-audio-dab/car-speakers/coaxial-speakers/kenwood-kfc-s1794

http://www.bassjunkies.com/car-audio-dab/car-speakers/coaxial-speakers/focal-100ca1

You'll get a much better sound than factory speakers if you pick the right ones.

Avoid the Modified car stuff, just look for some quality drive units but they need matching to the amps output (normally the HU) but in this case it depends on the HU which if its a modded one may have upgrade amps but may not.

As an aside a friend had a classic beetle, kept original HU in the dash and fitted a modern one in the glove box meant the car looked original and kept the thieves away from the car. used a remote unit for control, quite clever really... but glovebox was useless

. 3 way speakers does not mean you will need crossovers!

Cos

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, a 'proper' 3 way set up will need crossovers.

I wouldnt waste my time or money on combined 3 way speakers, but thats just personal preference...

Did you manage to get it sorted in the end though rimfire?

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, a 'proper' 3 way set up will need crossovers.

I wouldnt waste my time or money on combined 3 way speakers, but thats just personal preference...

Did you manage to get it sorted in the end though rimfire?

I think I am all sorted a friend of mine younger than me has got me some speakers that he tells me will do the job.

Thank you all for your advise.