Any Rock Climbers or Trained Working at Heights People?

Billy.

You're basically talking about creating an anchor to allow you to lean out over a drop. Perfectly possible to set up safely with normal climbing kit but will probably not meet any sort of professional regs. If you've got to ask how to do it, then frankly, you shouldn't be - it doesn't sound as if you know how to create an adequate anchor (not necessarily very easy in normal cheesy dolomite limestone), how to equalise it, how to best attach yourself or how to ensure any level of redundancy in the system. None of these things are skills that are learnt overnight.

http://www.irata.org/training_certification_scheme.php

this link my help you, I think you will find if it's not properly organised by somebody qualified in rope access you might find yourself at the wrong end of the line!.[/

Go for a irata qualification,, sounds like its what's required here,, with level 3 supervision,,,,,,,,, god I just loved being on the ropes!!!! Yes a dope on the rope""

I just loved being on the ropes!!!! Yes a dope on the rope!

Thats the thing fandango, being ON the rope is the tricky part ;-) I'd rather be a dope ON a rope than a dead dope no longer on a rope :whistling::whistling:

To original poster, you dont appear to have the experience and knowledge required, and whilst there are many of us on here who do have that knowledge, advice from people you dont know on a forum is not really how you train for a job that could kill you. Either go do the proper training or pass the job along to someone who knows what he is doing. :good: Tag along for the experience and take it from there??

I quit that job a year ago. Couldn't stand that industry.

Whilst I understand what you mean, the forum generally has a good mix of workers who cover a multitude of industries. It's easier to get advice here than to sign up to a climbing forum and get shot down for being a noob/troll poster.

There is probably a very good reason why even the people who do have the knowledge and experience are not really giving u any practical advice. They also have a good idea just how dangerous it can be

The bottom line is no matter how good the advice is. no one has seen the site and only has a basic grasp of wot ur wanting, while it probably is a very simple set up ANY small mistake could prove fatal.

If u misunderstand or carry out the advice wrong u could end up lying face down at the bottm of a cliff face, and i imagine if base jumping ur talking about 1000's of feet straight drop, doubt u will dust urself off after that.

Not the sort of advice u really give over the net to just anyone.

Get a pro in to atleast set a safe system up. and i personally would be insisting on a full body harness not a rock climbing harness

I don't know much about the rope acces industry but in the tree surgey/arb industry accidents happen all to commonly and thats with trained climbers

Right, I'm slightly regretting putting this post up. I'm going to go through this and properly explain what I'm doing.

I am filming a group of six BASE jumpers for a documentary. It's a freelance job and is based abroad. My company flies unmanned aircraft and I am looking to recreate the shot in this video (at 30 seconds):

There is cable car access to the top and it's a short walk to the shoot location.

I already have a full body harness and have always understood that you don't use a standard harness for this sort of work.

My work will mostly be a safe distance from the edge, but if the client requests lower shots of the edge, I may need to work closer to the edge to maintain eye contact with the aircraft. My comment about leaning over the edge is probably a bit exaggerated. I would never need to tilt any of my body over the edge and would look to set up a leash to limit how close I could physically get to the edge. A meter away would provide me with enough of an angle to look down onto the aircraft.

My question was to do with safe practices and for information resources on proper procedures. Whilst I do understand there are courses available, I could very easily say that the vast majority of this forum are entrusted with a firearm, some with next to no idea what they're doing with them, but they seem to be let loose into the wild!

It really is something u cannot give advice over the net. I'm sure it will be very straight forward but impossible to say.

If u are employed ur boss should be paying someone to set up a safe system of work. If something happened there would be a heap of H&S trouble for someone

Do u know ur knots etc?? Bowlines, figure of eights, in tree work ur using prussick, and various friction hitches.

I used to climb on a Blakes but was away from climbing for a while but have stopped using it as there is a very slight variation and the knot becomes a sucide hitch, looks the exact same but can fail at any moment without warning.

Think rope access is more mechanical devices like grillions, possibly some sort of fall arrestor system could work as a emergancy safety if not putting ur wieght on it for work positioning. U see them in screwfix etc. But still need a sound anchor to something

Is there no climbers/tree surgeons/rope acces boys u know that could show u something personally. But many would be dubious about it, wot happens if u do something wrong and take a header off the cliff how would the boys who gave u advice feel?

Do u know ur knots etc?? Bowlines, figure of eights, in tree work ur using prussick, and various friction hitches.

Fortunately I know all of those. Bowline from Sailing and the figure of eight/double Figure of eight from climbing. Prussicks are easy and I used to use them on the caving line at the climbing club.