Large Corvid Trap

Paul in North Lincs.

I'm after after a blue print or plans for a large corvid trap.

The landlowner on one of our permissions has been complaining about the huge 'black cloud' that's been really getting to him.

I'm not talking about a small larsen trap either......I think we want one that could hold large numbers....We're fairly handy so could knock one up easily enough, but we've been told that if we sort one we'll both get a days shooting on the sindicate next year for our troubles!!!!

Any ideas?:)? :D

Paul that 'large black cloud' are rooks not crows and I don't think you'll have much luck getting them interested in a Larsen trap. Best way is to find their roost/nest sites (which shouldn't be too difficult) and NOW is one of the best times of year, before the leaf gets on the trees and whilst they are fighting over the best nest sites, then get out there and blast them. Once they have young in the nests they'll be reluctant to leave them so roost shooting then can also reap (excuse the pun) dividends. Look forward to 4 and twenty in a pie :D

Paul

We started catching pheasants today and so far have caught 54 crows along with the pheasants. These have been caught in 8X8 ft pens with pop holes in the sides. I would make a ladder cage trap of a similar size. You will be surprised how many you will catch. Bait it with maize or wheat.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
Paul that 'large black cloud' are rooks not crows and I don't think you'll have much luck getting them interested in a Larsen trap. Best way is to find their roost/nest sites (which shouldn't be too difficult) and NOW is one of the best times of year, before the leaf gets on the trees and whilst they are fighting over the best nest sites, then get out there and blast them. Once they have young in the nests they'll be reluctant to leave them so roost shooting then can also reap (excuse the pun) dividends. Look forward to 4 and twenty in a pie :no:

It used to be a tradition to shoot the young rooks "branchers", at the rookery as they left the nest while hopping about in the branches and before they could fly, this was a week either side of may 21 depending on which part of the country you were in, rook pie in those days was considered a delicacy, usually a .22 or .410 was used and huge bags were made. :D D2D

I'm after after a blue print or plans for a large corvid trap.

The landlowner on one of our permissions has been complaining about the huge 'black cloud' that's been really getting to him.

I'm not talking about a small larsen trap either......I think we want one that could hold large numbers....We're fairly handy so could knock one up easily enough, but we've been told that if we sort one we'll both get a days shooting on the sindicate next year for our troubles!!!!

Any ideas?:good:? :good:

try some of these paul

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&am...mages&gbv=2