Does size make a difference.

Cockermax

Looking at treating myself to a new 20 bore, probably Bettinsoli or Lincoln.

Mate reckons I should get a 32" barrel, I currently shoot a 30" 12 bore.

I would rate myself as an average shot, hit some, miss some.

Would be used for rough shooting over the dog, and a couple of driven days.

Is there any benefits for the longer barrel length, would I even no the difference.

Any advice or thoughts please.

personally would stick to the same for both as I like to have the same 'sight picture'.

although saying that I normally shoot a 32" o/u and get on ok when I pick up my 26" pump.

you may find the 32 a bit long for rough shooting, more of a clay barrel length. but that's down to personal preference, and to some degree your height.

Depends how rough your rough shooting is. If you have to fight you wat through heavy cover then you'll be glad of shorter barrels. I normally use a 28" side by side for rough shooting, when I've taken my 32" OU it's been noticeably more of a pain in the backside in the thick stuff. Not convinced it makes much difference shooting wise how long the barrel is for rough shooting as most shots tend to be snap shots and more instinctive than shooting clays or driven where longer barrels may have some advantage.

I don't know if another two inch will make much difference from an adaptability point of view, if you're used to a 30", but going up to a 32" when I normally shoot 28" on our rough shoot just felt awkward with those long barrels. Driven is no problem as it's sleeved when I'm moving. I find that if the gun fits the length of the barrel is immaterial, but if it's a lighter gun you may find it whips through faster and slows down quicker. I like heavy guns and find light ones need a concerted effort to keep moving, but that's just me.

I think 32" is too long for rough shooting and in a light 20 bore I reckon the barrels will be just too whippy. A heavy clay gun, yes, they'd be fine, but not when you don't know when or where your quarry is coming from. You need something a bit shorter and quicker for that.

Normally I'm on 30" barrels, but I have to admit that for quick reflex shooting my 28" is more preferable.