Briley upgrades for my A400

kiffy

hi folks, thought i'd share a couple of photos on an upgrade ive just put on my beretta a400

i love the gun and even though ive yet to do a fowling trip with it (6 weeks to go!!!) i know from my last gun that fiddling with the tiny bolt release button which is suprisingly stiff with freezing cold hands would be a pain in the backside so when i found the briely parts recently thought id change the button and get the matching larger bolt handle

emailed briely for a uk importer, got told it was chris potter country sports. emailed them to find they wanted £105 and i think that was plus post so as my brother was off to florida on holidays got them direct from briely and sent to his house over there. they still cost me about seventy quid but a nice saving over uk pricing.. and they will im sure make the gun easier to use so im happy... and being a bit of a tart like ptretty things :lol:

heres the parts as i got them.

post-58889-0-49114200-1405777397_thumb.jpg

a photo of both bolt handles to compare them

post-58889-0-97730500-1405777397_thumb.jpg

and some before and after shots

post-58889-0-00511600-1405777397_thumb.jpg

post-58889-0-46338000-1405777398_thumb.jpg

post-58889-0-90034900-1405777398_thumb.jpg

heres a video from the tube showing how their fitted... easy enough job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Egeq4nbwKE

Edited by kiffy

nah, only had them today and fitted just before i posted dont think ill see much difference this time of year anyway its frosty november mornings when im up to my bits in mud and shivering that ill be happy i dont have to take a glove off to fumble with it

Yup, them little knobs can be a right chore!

Ok, that could have been phrased better :D

The release on my MP153 is stiff enough to be painful in the summer, so I dread to think what it would be like with frozen try fingers. Sooooo much easier with a bigger bolt handle and release (more pics in the DIY sub forum when I've finished the mk2 bolt release).

I hope you loctited any small screws. I've just spent over a week fixing a friends Benelli after one of the little 5-40 screws fell out . We found the button / lever but even a magnet couldn't locate the screw. He was originally charged £60 by a gun smith to install it, they didn't want to know when the screw was lost.

Edited to say it was a Briely part

Edited by 88b

I hope you loctited any small screws. I've just spent over a week fixing a friends Benelli after one of the little 5-40 screws fell out . We found the button / lever but even a magnet couldn't locate the screw. He was originally charged £60 by a gun smith to install it, they didn't want to know when the screw was lost.

Edited to say it was a Briely part

Hence the reason for the mk2 version!

Not enough thread in the button to hold the paddle screw sufficiently firmly.

Thread lock a good idea here.

The £60 charged to fit was probably the minimum of an hour's labour - bit much for a 10 minute job (or 20 if he had to drill and tap the original button), but gunsmiths do have to make a living.

I believe the Benelli is slightly different to the Beretta in that they also have to machine two small flats onto the post that goes through the gun frame. I've done a few 391's and 400's and never had a problem . Perhaps because they are gas operated there's less vibration or shock. Working on Harley'shas made me paranoid about Loctite.

Does the longer bolt handle not cause stress on the pin shaft that goes into the bolt, with the extra weight of metal and brass flying back and forth at speed.

Thought that was why manufacturers made the bolt handles small and light.

The others I've seen have been alloy, which probably goes some way to alleviate the problem.

The release button makes sense being bigger.

Figgy

Does the longer bolt handle not cause stress on the pin shaft that goes into the bolt, with the extra weight of metal and brass flying back and forth at speed.

Thought that was why manufacturers made the bolt handles small and light.

The others I've seen have been alloy, which probably goes some way to alleviate the problem.

The release button makes sense being bigger.

Figgy

as long as the handle isnt too much heavier then it wont make any difference at all. too heavy and it will slow the cycle down (especially on anything inertia driven, on which it may even cause failure to cycle).

i experimented with me es100 when making a charge handle and had no ill effects with using a handle that was 8 grams heavier.

if memory serves me, the briley ones as pictured by the OP are actually anodized aluminium. and i'm pretty sure that briley are the only people to make an oversized handle for the A400 base format.