r lazer sights worth buying?

gamebag

My kid brother is thinking of buying & mounting a laser sight to the scope of the air arms s200 he has just brought. The thing is, is it worth 1) the cost of buying a laser & mounting it too the scope 2) What are the down sides to having a laser mounted to his rifle?

ok first topic i have ever posted so im keeping my fingers crossed that it wont get locked lol

I have one fitted to my gun and it aides checking the point of impact when changing scopes (I use a weaver base to mount an NV scope and so need to know the POI is unchanged).

The laser is also useful with the NV sight as the NV makes it really hard to tell the range. However if the gun is zeroed with the laser on the POI then when the crosshair meets the laser then you know that is the exact range at which the gun is zeroed.

The cheap ones I have experienced (Crosman) are ****. Large dots at any range (I still use one but only as the large dot is very easy to see). Beamshot ones should be much better and as soon as I see one for the right price I intend to get one :beer:

• 2 years later...
:huh: personally, i find laser sights useful on occasion (for rangefinding or for taking a quick "shot from the hip", - even better if you have the thumbswitch installed!). yes, some are of a very poor quality & have large spots, but these can be focused if you know how. others have a much better focus & prices can range from around £20 - £80 (cheaper if you get a second hand one from someone who just wants rid of one). the main downside to having a laser fitted is that whatever you are aiming at knows you are there & can run before you can properly aim & pull the trigger (rats & rabbits are very good at this). if you do intend to get one, i would suggest mounting it so that the line of sight is as close to the muzzle as possible (mine is clamped to my silencer which gets it very close to being on target at any range, you may be able to get it closer by mounting it to the barrel). any other comments, constructive or otherwise, i would love to hear about...

I had one mounted on my S16 and had it setup for range finding and it worked very well indeed. But if you intend to use it for targeting, they are no different to a scope and need to be set at the desired range. I would set it up for the longer range shots and make a note of where the laser intersects the recticle, or; set it up for the short range shots up to 15 yards.

Quality of the laser is most important though. As mentioned, cheaper lasers give a large dot and over long range they can be as big a football. :huh: What you need is a laser that keeps a very defined spot at longer range. I have heard that the new green lasers are more effective, but have never seen one to compare.

I bought a Greenie from one of the TOP online auction sites. (sorry not allowed to name names or post links anynmore) you know the one

Cost me about £40 WITH delivery 10mW or 15mW i think it is can't remember but i CAN tell you i can put a green dot on a set of flats over 1/2 a mile away :good:

At night you can VISIBLY see the beam :unsure:

Bad thing really as you can give your position away to the Quarry and it may spook them.

Use mine mainly for Range finding on the NV but it was too bright so used it for quick target aquisition and then it went in the safe till i get my Falcon kitted out propperly

LG

Buy one that can locked via grub screws. Otherwise you spend ages zeroing it in and then it goes off kilter and you repeat the process until it ends up in the bin. :unsure:

I was going to try again but the gun wouldn't fit in the gun case with the laser on, so that sort of knocked that on the head :good:

I bought a Greenie from one of the TOP online auction sites. (sorry not allowed to name names or post links anynmore) you know the one

Cost me about £40 WITH delivery 10mW or 15mW i think it is can't remember but i CAN tell you i can put a green dot on a set of flats over 1/2 a mile away :good:

At night you can VISIBLY see the beam :blink:

Bad thing really as you can give your position away to the Quarry and it may spook them.

Use mine mainly for Range finding on the NV but it was too bright so used it for quick target aquisition and then it went in the safe till i get my Falcon kitted out propperly

LG

LG - sounds to me like you've got yourself an Astronomy Laser pointer there, m8. :unsure:

the Lizard