Does it actually matter when you start?

sitsinhedges

Just reflecting on previous pigeon shooting escapades.

It seems to me that pretty much whenever I pull up to a field and find a decent flightline I will set up and the sport will be very active for a couple of hours after which it tapers of to nothing over the third hour. It appears that there is a finite turnover of birds within this window and that afterwards they just seem to know to keep clear so maybe exactly when you start on any given field doesn't really matter.

Is this how others find it transpires?

I haven't found this to be the case. When a good opportunity is spotted, I try to get to the chosen field before the birds have had a chance to get a good fill. I think birds are less reluctant to return if they have fed well.

I also think that when a big day is on the cards It can be a good idea to get to the field at a good time. A good example of a day not reaching it's full potential is when a friend and I had seen well over 1000 birds on a rape stubble a couple of years back. We could both only get to the field to shoot at 1pm on the day in question. We shot 216 pigeons and it was all over by 5.30pm. We both reckoned that had we been at the field by 9am, the bag would have been easily 300+.

I will allways shoot the first fields harvested the day after they have been combined . More so if the birds have been feeding on the standing corn or rape . I have found that the first fields cut produce most birds before two many fields have been harvested . Then you have the problem that the birds have more choice as more and more fields have been harvested .

Harnser