LED fox lamp

Alycidon

Evening all.

Just checking my batteries etc for an on foot armed ramble one night shortly.

Both batteries in my main pack are nackered, these are ex burglar alarm batts and have been in use for 10 years or so .

Since I set that lot up ( they power a Lampforce 170 clipped to the scope) things have developed.

New lightweight higher power ( and cost) batteries and more interestingly LED lamps.

So what do we have in the LED lamps that will perform as well as a 170, take an orange or green lens cover and still allow shots to 250 yards and ID somewhat further given an ample power supply. Need to be able to clip to a 30mm scope tube.

I had my roof mount 240 running the other evening, id at 400 yards was on, nice clear night, no mist. Shame no fox showed.

A

Good question! Arguably the answer is nothing. I don't shoot beyond 200 yards at the very most (field size) and the X Searcher with the yellow LED will allow me that. Being self contained and compact is two advantages it does have over the 170 which I used previously. For spotting and ID, the Hellfighter with the IR facility if required allows me to see (with bino's) into Dorset.

Using a green XRE Cree led T20 with a big aspheric lens for a tight beam. Can ID out to at least 300 yards on something with good contrast like a stubble. On a detachable picatinny mount so takes seconds to put on/take off. I think the green spooks them just a little less than white but there's not alot in it. The green contrasts quite nicely with red illuminated crosshairs too.