Timings and etiquette

karlbird

Have just started wildfowling with some friends and will be taking up the club's offer of using volunteer guides, but before then I have a question.

What are the good timings for flights on the foreshore? I get there is a morning and evening 'flight' and also there must be good ones and bad ones depending on what the tide is doing?

For example, sea fishing, you could hang your hat on 2 hours up to high water and 2 hours below high water and not go much wrong. Is there similar for wildfowling?

I hear a lot of people saying not to arrive late, what is counted as late? We don't want to upset people before we start.

I have ordered the book New Wildfowler which was recommended, but in the mean time hoping someone on here could help.

So much to learn and so little time in life!

Hour before sunrise at least in my opinion.

As for best time, well it depends on the tides, weather, what birds about about, where they are feeding etc etc.

Would not be my advice due to Quarry already Flighting in the half light well before Sun rise. And I'm sure like myself many a Fowler having spent time travelling then walking to get into position will/would not be happy with people walking the Marsh when dawn is breaking. If you do arrive late stick to the sea wall then explore the Marsh when all Fowlers have left. Good luck with your new adventure be safe enjoy the surrounding the sights and Wildlife.

Would not be my advice due to Quarry already Flighting in the half light well before Sun rise. And I'm sure like myself many a Fowler having spent time travelling then walking to get into position will/would not be happy with people walking the Marsh when dawn is breaking. If you do arrive late stick to the sea wall then explore the Marsh when all Fowlers have left. Good luck with your new adventure be safe enjoy the surrounding the sights and Wildlife.

Edit again: Boyd, i'd forgotten what time sunrise was :lol: By the looks of things i've been on the marsh 2 hours before sunrise!

Edited by Big Mat

Myself I like to get on the foreshore at least a hour or even 2 hours before sunrise nothing worse than seeing guys moving about as it starts to get light

Evening times depends on how popular the ground is but again a couple of hours before dusk

Tides well depends there are some areas I will only go to if HT is around dawn or dusk and there are other grounds where I don't care what the tide times are .

overtime you will discover what times are best at various locations

If you are going out with a club guide just ask for advice they will help you

Edited by Spaniel

I like to be sat in position, deeks out and ready to shoot at least an hour before sun rise. So you need to think about how long it takes to walk to your spot, set up and have a cofee.

as for when the best time ib relation to tide and weather, only experience can give you that info.

He's certainly been taught the right way and pretty much abides by what he's been taught. He knows some of the unwritten ones too. It's a shame some don't though. Nothing worse than being sat in your chosen spot and seeing others wandering along the top of the sea wall when the wildfowl are already moving. Done that when I first started and you would have expected a life threatening experience. You got away with walking silently along the bottom of the bank but only just.

Edited by ayano3