Tikka zeroing problem

Woodlander

Recently bought practically unused M595 .222

From a gunshop. Used a box of shells attempting to zero it,but couldn't get on the target.

Borrowed a mates laser boresighter,tested 2 high end scopes with 2 high end mounts. One only zeroed on the laser point on the very last click on the windage turret,the other ran out of adjustment even before it zeroed. It would seem to me that the rails might be out of alignment. Has anyone come across this problem or heard of something similar.

I have boresighted my rimfire and this zeroed practically centre of the adjustment range,so it seems to be a problem only with the Tikka.

Any suggestions please?

This was not a cheap rifle.

Tbh mounts are my first port of call.

I have 2 Tikkas and find both zero with no problems.

You can always swap the mounts round to help on windage adjustment and shim for verticle issues.

Btw always make sure that the scope was optically centred before you try to zero.

Edit

Boresighting isn't the be all and end all. You cannot be truly zeros with a laser boresighter it's only to get you physically on to the target before you start firing live rounds.

Edited by Beretta28g

I used Optilocks and Warne mounts.

In the cold light of day and being as both zeros were very close to each other when I ran out of adjustment,I'm now suspecting a wonky boresighter.

If the wind drops off a little today I'll attempt a few more shots on paper,opt ally centring scope first and starting off at 50 yards.

Thanks fellows for your replys,I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers

Paul

Forget a boresighter, just get a zero target out and start with it at the end of you barrel if need be, then move the distance out steadily.

See how you get on, make sure everything is tight, remove the mod if fitted and adjust scope as required as you move the distance out.

I would be surprised if you don't get it sorted that way, or actually find what the problem may be.

• 5 weeks later...

Center the scope, check all fittings for correctnes, fit scope, with bolt removed , clamp rifle in a workmate, sight through bore at a far distant point,

mount scope, If the distant point does not coinside with crosshairs within say 20 clicks suspect something wrong with mounts or rail.

Easy test for rail is to fit a scope previously zeroed on another rifle.

rails on new guns should be exactly in line with bore. dont accept a new gun with problems, it will always bug you