Spotting fake Breitling watch

lexikia

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always had a thing for the Seadweller. I was on a waiting list for 18months for one some years ago, when they called up they told me they had called 5 people on the list and it was first come first served!!! They were told where to stick their Seadweller!

Interesting Navi there, details! ;)

Navitimer Heritage A35350, purchased new in 2007 ish. I must've called every single Brietling stockist in the country to be told the all black face wasn't available any longer. I eventually found one in 'Blitz watches" (name says a lot). As I was trying it out on my wrist, not a word of a lie, the chrono button pinged out and ended up on the floor. So I walked away from that and was glad that happened then, as they weren't an authorised stockist.

So anyway, I kept looking and the one shop I never bothered to check/call was the jewellers, Christopher Wharton, five miles away and they had one in stock. Great service and very pleased with the price.

This has been through the wars with me and still standing strong. Not a single scratch on the glass, but the bracelet could do with a buff up. (If you look on my photo, you'll see there's something on the glass... Turns out it was a spec of paint :rolleyes: )

Edited by Billy.

LOL Totally wrong, the Omega is fakety fake ;-) Breitling 100% genuine lol at poorly made, military grade stainless throughout :lol: Breitling bracelets leave Rolex standing IMHO, much sturdier and leave the bigger watches much better balanced than the Rolex equivalent (Deep Sea)

Just proves how well made some fakes are, if I'm honest though wearing the Breitling would bother me hugely because to others it may still look fake. Chap I know wears one which also looks below par so always assumed it was fake. My favourite is Longines because they're proper watches but don't trade on the name as much as some clearly do.

One of my best buys was an Addidas stainless steel 200ATM which I bought 20 years ago for £105, (reduced from £200 as the dealer was closing his account with Addidas), this thing has kept excellent time, glass never scratched and been in 6 or 7 different seas and despite having the battery changed at least half a dozen times with no pressure testing etc, has never leaked either.

Just proves how well made some fakes are, if I'm honest though wearing the Breitling would bother me hugely because to others it may still look fake. Chap I know wears one which also looks below par so always assumed it was fake. My favourite is Longines because they're proper watches but don't trade on the name as much as some clearly do.

One of my best buys was an Addidas stainless steel 200ATM which I bought 20 years ago for £105, (reduced from £200 as the dealer was closing his account with Addidas), this thing has kept excellent time, glass never scratched and been in 6 or 7 different seas and despite having the battery changed at least half a dozen times with no pressure testing etc, has never leaked either.

This may surprise you to hear, but I dont care what people think of any watch I wear. I wear them because I like them, not because someone else will think it is nice. No one I know has ever suggested that it looks like a fake :lol::lol: IMHO anyone thinking it was a fake clearly doesnt know their watches (Im talking about seeing it in the flesh not in photos) and also clearly doesnt know me :no::no:

No offence meant by this comment so please dont take it the wrong way, but mentioning Longines and Addidas and how they are your favourites and best buys (as hopefully you are like me and don't give a monkeys what others think) but clearly neither are in the same ball park as Breitling IMHO. But if you like them thats what matters :good::good:

Oh and my Breitlings have been in some crazy places as well and never let me down :whistling:

Edited by m3vert

Navitimer Heritage A35350, purchased new in 2007 ish. I must've called every single Brietling stockist in the country to be told the all black face wasn't available any longer. I eventually found one in 'Blitz watches" (name says a lot). As I was trying it out on my wrist, not a word of a lie, the chrono button pinged out and ended up on the floor. So I walked away from that and was glad that happened then, as they weren't an authorised stockist.

So anyway, I kept looking and the one shop I never bothered to check/call was the jewellers, Christopher Wharton, five miles away and they had one in stock. Great service and very pleased with the price.

This has been through the wars with me and still standing strong. Not a single scratch on the glass, but the bracelet could do with a buff up. (If you look on my photo, you'll see there's something on the glass... Turns out it was a spec of paint :rolleyes: )

Love it, never seen one with a black slide rule. :good: Edited by Munzy

No offence meant by this comment so please dont take it the wrong way, but mentioning Longines and Addidas and how they are your favourites and best buys (as hopefully you are like me and don't give a monkeys what others think) but clearly neither are in the same ball park as Breitling IMHO. But if you like them thats what matters :good::good:

Oh and my Breitlings have been in some crazy places as well and never let me down :whistling:

None taken but 20 years ago that Addidas was what I could comfortably afford so it had to do, I still have it but wear the likes of Longines, Tissot for everyday use now and a horrendously expensive Tag for special occasions. I accept what you say in that Breitlings are probably better made than the average Longine but then they are double the money !

Fisherman Mike 30years of collecting is clearly showing through lol. Sorry bud but you don't know your Pam's :lol: Reg TM isnt on the front of the crown gaurd on this model my friend. Trust me there is nothing amateurish about the date mag, there is something amateurish about your knowledge of Pam's though :lol::lol: :lol: (in jest :good: ) Back to the books for your mate :whistling: Oh and also wrong on the Seamaster lol

Well I did say it was a guess. Just goes to show that without close inspection its extremely difficult to tell on some of these high end replicas.

Incidentally I had a original Panerai divers watch from the second war pass through my hands many years ago...it had a rolex calibre movement and I sold it all too cheaply.

I also until recently, had a Mont Blanc Meistersuck flyback original and a identical replica.. The replica I took to the dealer by mistake for a service believing it was the original. They sent it back to Mont Blanc and they actually serviced it and returned it with a very nice letter actually complimenting the workmanship. Saying that it was a very good likeness with a Myota movement.

Well I did say it was a guess. Just goes to show that without close inspection its extremely difficult to tell on some of these high end replicas.

Incidentally I had a original Panerai divers watch from the second war pass through my hands many years ago...it had a rolex calibre movement and I sold it all too cheaply.

I also until recently, had a Mont Blanc Meistersuck flyback original and a identical replica.. The replica I took to the dealer by mistake for a service believing it was the original. They sent it back to Mont Blanc and they actually serviced it and returned it with a very nice letter actually complimenting the workmanship. Saying that it was a very good likeness with a Myota movement.

Oh I bet you REALLY wish you still had the Panerai!!! Have you looked to see what they are going for nowadays!!!!!! If you haven't, don't :no::no:

Oh I bet you REALLY wish you still had the Panerai!!! Have you looked to see what they are going for nowadays!!!!!! If you haven't, don't :no::no:

I do know that a similar watch owned by a former colleague and which was obtained from a Italian naval POW by the owners late uncle was sold by Sotheby's to Officine Panerai about 8 years ago for about 45K including buyers premium....ouch!

I have now only a few of my original 150 watch collection left having sold many of them for investment purposes in recent years ( hopefully they will provide my pension) I have become rather bored with watches and have started collecting silver decanter labels.

Limited edition and unusual Swatches are worth collecting at the moment.

Richemon Group have recently been spending a fair bit on picking up old originals, presumably for their museum. I hope it wasn't this one you sold!!!!

http://luxpresso.com/news-lifestyle/this-panerai-watch-sets-an-auction-record/29995 :whistling::whistling:

"Limited edition and unusual Swatches are worth collecting at the moment." Really????

It was a radiomir with the highly radioactive paint ..and had the original extra wide leather strap designed to fit over the divers suit and the "Glass Bubble"

Yes get in to some of the early and unusual Swatches while prices are realistic.

I have retained 4 early 80,s examples (less than £20 new) which I wouldn't let go for less than their current valuation of £375 - 400

That's 2000+ percent increase... in 30 odd years... youre not going to get that with a £3000 Rolex. :no::)

And there are plenty out there

Swatch is now a big player in the swiss watch world. Worth a read..

http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/about/history.html

Im pretty sure this is the one I have!! Its not in the best of condition though from memory ;-(

http://www.swatchandbeyond.com/index.php?productID=469

Jelly fish...a real collectors piece..

Checkout the swatch website...you will be amazed what they produce..

I seem to recall that quite recently they bought another top Suisse manufacturer to add to their company stable... might even have been Omega

Swatch group brands.. Breguet, Winston, Blancpain, Glashutte, Hatot, Droz, Longines, Rado, Tissot, Balmain,Mido, Hamilton, Certina

Bit of an eye opener from a company that pioneered cheap mass produced Swiss watches isn't it ! ?

Jelly fish...a real collectors piece..

Checkout the swatch website...you will be amazed what they produce..

I seem to recall that quite recently they bought another top Suisse manufacturer to add to their company stable... might even have been Omega

Swatch group brands.. Breguet, Winston, Blancpain, Glashutte, Hatot, Droz, Longines, Rado, Tissot, Balmain,Mido, Hamilton, Certina

Bit of an eye opener from a company that pioneered cheap mass produced Swiss watches isn't it ! ?

I knew they owned a few of the big players, but didnt know the old plastics were worth more than a fiver lol. I will need to check and see if I can find the old jelly fish haha ;-)