recession

islandgun

Is it just me or is it a first, conservatives are talking about another recession, (while in power !) now if there's a guaranteed way to stop people protest voting its the thought that a protest vote will hit them in the pocket, I dont have any axe to grind just a healthy disrespect for all things politic sorry if this is an old story

Edited by islandgun

We (the UK) haven't really been out of recession for 5 odd years now. How can we be with 0.5% "emergency" interest rates and £375 billion of printed money ?

Once rates do eventually start to return toward normal and we make an effort to unwind the QE "funny money" I might believe a genuine recovery is actually upon us. Until then it's just one spin after another accompanied by figure massaging and the usual smoke and mirrors games.

Unfortunatley with Public borrowing still expanding its hard to see how the government is ever going to be able to unwind this mess. Certainly the mainstream parties havnt the balls to tackle it. Next year we are likely to see an outside political party gain some considerable influence. Can they start things moving in the right direction ? I hope so but am sceptical.

If Labour get in on the next election then we definitely will be back into full recession that they put us into in the first place.

I dont think the current muppets have even got us out of it, they have just fiddled the numbers and made it look better than it is.

We (the UK) haven't really been out of recession for 5 odd years now. How can we be with 0.5% "emergency" interest rates and £375 billion of printed money ?

Once rates do eventually start to return toward normal and we make an effort to unwind the QE "funny money" I might believe a genuine recovery is actually upon us. Until then it's just one spin after another accompanied by figure massaging and the usual smoke and mirrors games.

Unfortunatley with Public borrowing still expanding its hard to see how the government is ever going to be able to unwind this mess. Certainly the mainstream parties havnt the balls to tackle it. Next year we are likely to see an outside political party gain some considerable influence. Can they start things moving in the right direction ? I hope so but am sceptical.

The OP was about the possible coincidence or timing, considering the Rochdale election

Scaremongering. Pure and simple.

The Eurozone is on the brink of it's third recession whilst the US and UK economy is chugging along nicely at the moment. The Commonwealth nations economy is also doing well.

Thank God we never followed the CBI's (and others) recommendation to join the Eurozone eh?

Scaremongering. Pure and simple.

The Eurozone is on the brink of it's third recession whilst the US and UK economy is chugging along nicely at the moment. The Commonwealth nations economy is also doing well.

Thank God we never followed the CBI's (and others) recommendation to join the Eurozone eh?

You are bang on there we certainly escaped that one!!

The OP was about the possible coincidence or timing, considering the Rochdale election

Part of the opening sentence - "conservatives are talking about another recession" caught my eye as possibly being open to an alternative point of view. Hence my comment.

The rest of your post is bang on, it's unlikley to be a possible coincidence, considering the Rochdale election AND the forthcoming budget reviews.

The title of the post kinda also influenced my comment :)

Edited by corkycorksta

I dont think the current muppets have even got us out of it, they have just fiddled the numbers and made it look better than it is.

Too true. The same goes with the 'fall' in unemployment. They have created so many 'carpets' to sweep unemployed people under, it is offensive. Where to start? 'Apprenticeships' with no prospect EVER getting a job at the end of the term, 'job experience' placements, zero hour contracts, New Enterprise Allowance etc. It is scary just how much the statistics have been shaped to convey a particular message...

Smoke and mirrors.

The only way they've 'balanced the books' is by keeping all the PFI deals off books. The billions of pounds being paid in interest on these deals doesn't appear as government borrowing.

The NHS trusts, created by Maggie, are the ones struggling to meet their payments and we are going to have to bail them out.

Example,the company running Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Circle, whose holding company carries £150m of debt, has been loaned £33m so they can say they've broken even. The NHS is now taking the contract back because Circle have admitted they can't afford to run it.

Result, privateers make massive wedges of cash and the taxpayer is left to pick up the bill, once again.

All of these Chickens are going to come home to roost and it won't be pretty when they do.

Its this feeling of manipulation, all govs assume we are too stupid to realise the way we are being manipulated and have teams of very clever people behind the so called leaders who tell/advise them to make announcements like we are facing recession and then infer that a vote for anyone but themselves will speed up this recession, and on and on, we always end up voting for the least unpleasant of a bad bunch,

Smoke and mirrors.

The only way they've 'balanced the books' is by keeping all the PFI deals off books. The billions of pounds being paid in interest on these deals doesn't appear as government borrowing.

The NHS trusts, created by Maggie, are the ones struggling to meet their payments and we are going to have to bail them out.

Example,the company running Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Circle, whose holding company carries £150m of debt, has been loaned £33m so they can say they've broken even. The NHS is now taking the contract back because Circle have admitted they can't afford to run it.

Result, privateers make massive wedges of cash and the taxpayer is left to pick up the bill, once again.

All of these Chickens are going to come home to roost and it won't be pretty when they do.

PFI for a lot of the hospitals introduced by our new communism chums has proved to be an expensive mistake.

I can also see some very dangerous groups having more of a say in parliment soon which I can't make my mind up will be a good or bad thing tbh.

I wouldn't worry too much...I think the Lib Dems are pretty much finished as a credible political force. :yes: