Fishing tackle

DU4E

This may not sound very sporting but I am looking for a piece of unconventional tackle. Its basically a small lead weight with a load of hooks coming out the sides. The line is then baited and when you feel a nibble you yank the line up and hopefully one of the hooks fouls a fish. The reason is I am going away to Egypt at the end of the month and want to fish over the side of the dive boat with the crew. Its for small baitfish but all the catch is eaten so there is no waste(Unlike in Hong Kong where the water front is packed with locals who kill buckets of wee fish this way and then just discard them, still flopping about, on the pier :lol: ). Any advice on what the thing is called or where I can get one would be most appreciated please. Thanks :lol:

I have seen this type of tackle used in the Mediterranean (Malta, Cyprus, Spain and Greek Islands), it always appears home-made and I have never seen any commercial item like it in their shops.

You most certainly won't buy this tackle over here.

Don't be confused by a squid jig, which does look similar, but is not the same and will not do what you want this item to do.

I won't enter into a debate as to why you would want to do this, its not fishing. :lol:

why not fish for them properly then?? You have already admitted that it is unsporting so why do it?? no skill involved atall, why not fish with a single baited hook, strike when you get the bite and hook it properly right in the scissors!!!!! :lol:

I have seen this type of tackle used in the Mediterranean (Malta, Cyprus, Spain and Greek Islands), it always appears home-made and I have never seen any commercial item like it in their shops.

You most certainly won't buy this tackle over here.

Don't be confused by a squid jig, which does look similar, but is not the same and will not do what you want this item to do.

I won't enter into a debate as to why you would want to do this, its not fishing. <_<

Thanks for the advice.

Why does it have to be sporting or requiring skill though, its just a good way to put some fish on the table. Theres nothing sporting or skillfull about going to the supermarket and buying a fine t-bone or tuna steak and im sure you guys have done that. And yes a single hook would be fine if firstly their mouths wernt so wee and secondly they were chompers and not nibblers.

I used to live about 50 yards from the edge of the Red sea in Saudi with not much else to do apart from work except work,dive and fish.Since then i only manage the odd dive trip off Egypt.Most of the tiddlers you catch are spiny things such as Seargent Majors and other inedible or spiny stuff.I used to catch them with small hooks and bits of squid,raw prawn or bread.Easy but will not get a feed.I guess your foul hooking will get similar rubbish fish.I advise a strong hand line,size 4/0 hooks and raw fish bait,especially tuna or squid.Fish on or near bottom.Lures will catch ,especially if you see tuna type fish at the bait fish.Either trolled or take packaway rod and very strong line/braid.

Suggest you check with skipper too as much of Egypt red sea is National Park where only Bedouin are allowed to fish.I usually manage a chuck tho,had barracuda off beach at Dahab on lures last year.Night as always is best.There are BIG fish about,esp in hotter months.Seriously cant imagine the foul hooking effective there.Even novice fisherman in with good chance.Sorry to go on but i love the red Sea.

I used to live about 50 yards from the edge of the Red sea in Saudi with not much else to do apart from work except work,dive and fish.Since then i only manage the odd dive trip off Egypt.Most of the tiddlers you catch are spiny things such as Seargent Majors and other inedible or spiny stuff.I used to catch them with small hooks and bits of squid,raw prawn or bread.Easy but will not get a feed.I guess your foul hooking will get similar rubbish fish.I advise a strong hand line,size 4/0 hooks and raw fish bait,especially tuna or squid.Fish on or near bottom.Lures will catch ,especially if you see tuna type fish at the bait fish.Either trolled or take packaway rod and very strong line/braid.

Suggest you check with skipper too as much of Egypt red sea is National Park where only Bedouin are allowed to fish.I usually manage a chuck tho,had barracuda off beach at Dahab on lures last year.Night as always is best.There are BIG fish about,esp in hotter months.Seriously cant imagine the foul hooking effective there.Even novice fisherman in with good chance.Sorry to go on but i love the red Sea.

Thanks for your reply. I have taken your advice and bought a few bigger hooks, I am on a liveaboard so fishing at night is no problem. What size line would you recommend?

Cant wait to get back out... whats your favourite divesite out there?

Hi DU.IF you look at the hand lines the arab lads have on the boats they will have extremely heavy mono ie 80lb +(i kid you not )and will have gloves on hand.We used to have heavy guage steel trace bitten thru on occaisions but that was on reefs noted for shark.Snapper.grouper,Barracuda and jack were the usual catches tho.Some of the Rex Hunt tropical fishing programmes are a good indicator of whats on offer.Your dives will show you what is about.loose feeding will bring them in.it is very prolific.

You doing ras mohammed or down Hurghada ?Ps some shops in Sharm have fishing gear.I hope to get there again soon.

They use a system on Roker Pier in Sunderland when the sprats come in where they use a 1oz weight and 10lb line.

In the line tie a trebble hook every 6" apart for about 2 and a half foot.

Use a Catapult to fire small bits of bread into the sea and cast into the area jerking the rod through and they hook a bucket full of fish in less than 25 mins then head off up the pier for the Mackrel using floats and the bait fish they caught.

LG