winchester age

terence

Hi dating Winchesters of the 101 age is difficult as I understand it dates and numbers not transferred when production stopped. If you go on Dawson's Doubles website you can get the history of the mod 23 s/s as he wrote it. I think he probably has more knowledge of the 101 but to busy to write the history.If you find out anymore would be pleased to know.

Over and under is 1982 to 1987. Can't get any more specific.

are you sure the O/U is that late Gordon, I have a 101 field that has K3 and another that has K4, these look by research to be very early 70's if not late 60's, i have the sales brochure but it does not give a print date, although you may well be correct

these are both field models black action.

It would be great if someone bought one new and could give the serial number, i always assumed mine was early

just found this, as mine is a field not an XTR I assume K3 must be pre 1981??

Magnum field models, plus skeet and trap models, also came out in 1966.

The XTR models, which replaced previous field models, came out in 1981, and Diamond-grade guns in trap and skeet configurations appeared in 1982.

Multichoke versions date back to the late 1970s, and a UK favourite, the 101 Super Grade Game, dates back to the 1980s.

there is a slight change in the forend wood fit this is K3 serial number

post-53362-0-94799900-1421070283_thumb.jpg

Edited by sishyplops

in the booklet i have it lists

Field, Skeet, Trap and Trap M/c

Can you pop a pic up Terence? see if its like mine as has a similar K3 serial number

just a thought if the booklet states multichoke as an option and in the post i lifted that says MC came out late 70's then i guess it could be a late 70's gun i have, i have seen some serial numbers as low as K1 on american sites

mine is an unaltered 26" Field model imp cyl and mod choked , original winchester butt plate and in very very nice condition

Edited by sishyplops

That sounds a nice original field model next on my list Always wanted one

Numbers are ever so confusing I have a 7000 field with fantastic wood the guy I bought it off always believed it to be the third last out the factory.541 no starts

I then bought another with a latter no 543 this gun is a sleeper done nothing although did put paid to the idea the first one one of the last out the factory.

I thought at one stage to record all numbers off 101 I saw and model for interest see how many there where sort of a registrar

What brochure have you I have a couple of period brochure but not very explicit.

in the booklet i have it lists

Field, Skeet, Trap and Trap M/c

Can you pop a pic up Terence? see if its like mine as has a similar K3 serial number

just a thought if the booklet states multichoke as an option and in the post i lifted that says MC came out late 70's then i guess it could be a late 70's gun i have, i have seen some serial numbers as low as K1 on american sites

HI sishyplops cant load photos tried before without any luck mine is black action both barrels are marked skeet/

are you sure the O/U is that late Gordon, I have a 101 field that has K3 and another that has K4, these look by research to be very early 70's if not late 60's, i have the sales brochure but it does not give a print date, although you may well be correct

It would be great if someone bought one new and could give the serial number, i always assumed mine was early

The XTR models, which replaced previous field models, came out in 1981, and Diamond-grade guns in trap and skeet configurations appeared in 1982.

Multichoke versions date back to the late 1970s, and a UK favourite, the 101 Super Grade Game, dates back to the 1980s.

H isishyplops just looked at engraving on mine and it looks the same as yours in picture but where yours looks like when you close the action its against wood where mine closes against metal Thanks Terry

They changed the forend slightly I believe mine us the early type

The brochure I have is a single A4 page folded into 3, it just gives an outline of the 101 model, doesn't really go overboard on detail but tells you lop and comb heights, and how to disassemble etc, no more than barrels forend off though, it's leaflet 2082 I think

Edited by sishyplops

Terence when you post there is a tab bottom right next to the " post" button that says "more reply options" there you will find the paper clip symbol to attach file , mind you it has a limited bit capacity

Thanks tried that brothers going to try and call in later to sort it for me pics need compressing

Met up with moggy today who has a field model K4 the ejectors are totally different to mine and more akin to that of the nikko shadows, (same factory) I remember having a massive argument with a friend who said the 101 ejectors are the same as his shadow Indy to which I said no they are not to which he said yes they are etc etc, got a bit pantomime after that, so now it would seem both of us are correct , as dear old winchester did two types of ejectors on the same gun, good grief makes you want to buy a 325 grade 6 browning 30", anyone got one?

Edited by sishyplops

Look up the American site "shotgun world " there are guys on there that seem or think they know every thing about guns but frequently show how little they actually do . That apart if any one has date for serial numbers on Winchesters some one there will .

Edited by Gunman