American sniper - the film

Reeceknight

I havnt read the book, and the trailor didn't give much away until I finally watched the full trailor today! Not what I was expecting atall, seems to take a different direction to most of these films, obviously based on Chris Ryan and the true story but like that it's more about his struggle. Even the trailor made my hairs stand up. Don't jnownwhy the trailor on tv is so short should have been this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bP1f_1o-zo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The book was boring, all the usual 'God, America, Family' hokum in that order from start to finish. Honestly felt lile i was reading someyhing written by someone brainwashed by propaganda.........

The film will Probably be better, hell Clint made it, that's the only reason I will ho see it and it might BE BETTER than the book?

Now I am not a military man and have no walt fantasies but some in the know have said the man is a 'Marksman' not a sniper and after reading books about men like Hathcock in Vietnam, the wide gulf is very apparent. I do not question their dedication or bravery but they seem to be unit operators, not lone wolves and the environment was what might be described as targrt rich so the numbers game is a very different matter.

A snipers role differs hugely depending on ops and terrain and they are a mostly unit related item in Afghanistan and Iraq..

Not all their work consists of going into territory and lying up for a week waiting for the target to make the shot like Hathcock and he also had to operate with a unit when he was covering them during ops.

As you say it was a target rich for Kyle but he done the jobs that he was tasked to do.

Yes but if you don't get the irony of his obsession with God and the fact the book harps on about it he gets very tedious. Crusader?

Im looking forward to seeing the film and hope Clint hasnt let hollywood do a Goebells re-write.

God gets little airing in the film but he is very for his country but then if that was the real man then only right it should be included.Like most Clint films i think he has nailed it but thats my opinion.The ending was abrupt if you didnt know how he died and the missus was gutted when it ended like that.

I find a lot of military films pure gash but think this one has it pretty well done,even though how much the truth has been bent we dont know.Compared to Lone Survivor its a masterpiece.

and I also read him and a unit of seals was deployed to shoot armed looters in hurrican katrina in New Orleans but the government denies any knowledge of sending seals there etc etc.

There always seems this with these books and stories, like Marcus luttrel, one or the other is telling porkys. And it's hard to tell with special u its in the army I supose as a lot of things are meant to be kept quite, we will never know. I think I read somber that after loan survivor some people high up denied any knowledge of sending them there to take out a target under that name blah blah blah yet a handful of seals disagree?

I read the book a few months ago and watched the film last night. I would suggest anyone planning to do the same then do it the other way round, watch the film then read the book. Obviously the book goes into a lot more detail so this sort of ruined the film for me as it missed chunks out etc. still enjoyed the film just wish I would of waited and read the book afterwords

and I also read him and a unit of seals was deployed to shoot armed looters in hurrican katrina in New Orleans but the government denies any knowledge of sending seals there etc etc.

Wow, I've only ever seen them balance balls on their snouts...

I watched the film, I have not read the book. Watching the film prompted me to search a bit, as I admit I did not know who this guy was. The best description I could find was this.

I particularly agree with the epilogue:

There is no room for the idea that Kyle might have been a good soldier but a bad guy; or a mediocre guy doing a difficult job badly; or a complex guy in a bad war who convinced himself he loved killing to cope with an impossible situation; or a straight-up serial killer exploiting an oppressive system that, yes, also employs lots of well-meaning, often impoverished, non-serial-killer people to do oppressive things over which they have no control. Or that Iraqis might be fully realised human beings with complex inner lives who find joy in food and sunshine and family, and anguish in the murders of their children. Or that you can support your country while thinking critically about its actions and its citizenry. Or that many truths can be true at once.

Always meet your heroes