Suggestions on stock repair please

Jonty

Hi folks,

I've got quite a split in the stock of my 308. It's an M591 and finding a replacement stock is proving challenging. I was hoping someone may have some suggestions about the best way of repairing this. I've thought of either pinning and gluing or even cutting out the offending area and making a total replacement insert. My main concern is that as it is where the action is bolted to the stock it will be under quite a lot of stress.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

F85F1E7B-06EA-4177-A418-5DD26EFD067A_zps

271ADEB3-3979-4709-BE11-36BDD0268F65_zps

CC16FA3F-9B3F-4F59-9F3B-5CEC348F126D_zps

I'd be looking to do something like

Wick some casemite wood glue in to the crack, if it's possible to open the crack a touch then do so.

Pilar and bed the action to minimise local stress to the wood.

Fill and finish the crack using some of your stock wood dust from sanding and glue mixed to achieve a colour match

I'd be looking to do something like

Wick some casemite wood glue in to the crack, if it's possible to open the crack a touch then do so.

Pilar and bed the action to minimise local stress to the wood.

Fill and finish the crack using some of your stock wood dust from sanding and glue mixed to achieve a colour match

+1 :good: Cascamite will seep into the grain of the wood.

Don't use cascamite - use a strong white pva wood glue (Evo Stik). force the split apart as far as you can without making it worse and force the glue in with a filler knife - then put a g-cramp across it to force it together - leave for 24 hours. make sure you wipe off any excess glue as it will stain the timber. Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to publicly say a huge thank you to Karl - Amazed. When I asked for advice on stock repair the last thing I expected was a replacement stock landing on my doormat.

Thank you again Karl, you are a true gent!

All the best

Jonty

I just want to publicly say a huge thank you to Karl - Amazed. When I asked for advice on stock repair the last thing I expected was a replacement stock landing on my doormat.

Thank you again Karl, you are a true gent!

All the best

Jonty

Stop it you will make me blush ;)

Hope it helps :good:

All the best

Karl.