Opportunistic

monkeyjaimz

Now then fellas, I took my rifle out 2 nights ago for a few hours paper practice, and on the way back home spotted a lone bunny in the field where I have permission. Needless to say this was an opportunity that I couldnt pass up and a pretty decent reward after punching holes through paper all night.

I parked up, dropped the tailgate, slid the S200 out of its case, loaded up and stalked away over to where i'd seen the bunny (hoping he was still there). Sure enough I caught sight of him as I rounded the corner of a tree line, I dropped to the floor, took aim and sent him summersaulting backwards - awesome! (His saddle and legs currently reside in my fridge :huh: )

Then tonight as I finished work I spotted two bunnies about 150 yrds away having a whale of a time unaware I was watching them. I formulated a simple plan to creep around the back of them, keeping trees in between us until I had come within range. As I came within range I lowered myself to the ground and took aim, suddenly out of the corner of my eye there was movement to right side of me and a squirrel bounced into view between me and the rabbit.

It didnt take me long to decide which to drop, I hadnt taken a squirrel before and the rabbit could be hunted later, so as the squirrel went down, the rabbits bolted to cover and I retrieved the bag.

Anyway, getting to the point of the post. I've noticed that recently I've become more of an opportunistic hunter than anything else, and it seems to be working for me.

They say if you want to find somebody then just stay in the same place and they will find you, maybe thats true in this case.

Im interested to see what methods other people find most productive, do you find stalking works best for you? or decoying etc?

Depends how you put it?, if stalking rabbits i tend to stalk and creep up in to the wind, breeze. up beside cover like fences, hedgerows, bushes never in the open. rabbits are colour blind only see in black, wihte and gray but do have very good hearing and smell. being silent as i walk watching movement of rabbits if thay feel jumpy i stop still and wait till rabbits feel comftable then carry on, with luck ive got within 10 yrds in cover. with i tend to try and get as close as i can not how far i can shot at, on squirrals i tend to stalk as little in woodland sit and watch drays and surrounding branches off trees also look on ground for buried spots, oak and chestnuts i find best places. wood pigeons. you'll never stalk wood pigeons, there clever for there eye sight same with any other bird soon as your seen your a treat and you see why thay fly off right away, for wood pigeons its best done from a well built hide plenty of cover with the sun from behind. then decoy your area (i use 12 in total few flappers) in a horse shoe depend of wind directions or flight lines with in about 20-25 yrds, sit and wait for land ins or hanging decoys high in trees still with sun coming from behind. same goes with crcws, magpies, etc... with those i use eagle owl decoy with rabbit with split guts below its feet just to make it look real. its hard just trying to tell how i do it by typing but i could tell even better if i was talking i hope you understand my ways and sayings i hope this help out.

I like to set a base where I think my quarry will be on that particular day due to the weather and use that to keep my gear in, have my food, rest etc and then stalk from there.

Ideally the base will be near a sitting tree (you never know your luck) and have a nice view of where I plan to stalk so while I'm having a bite to eat/rest I can keep an eye on the comings or goings.

It is all down to the individual areas. Some are good to sit up and wait and others need stealth to approach, where upon you have one shot at your target before the scurry off never to show again all the time you are hanging around.

The more you shoot your area the more you get to know what works and where. Then it will all change as the new seasons come round :D things are rarely constant.

The more you shoot your permission in different weathers and different times the more knowledge you will get.

Stalking is a good skill though and requires constant practice. getting within airgun range is so much more skillful than the 125yd HMR shots that can be taken.

Once you have that skill you can do what you want.

• 2 weeks later...
Now then fellas, I took my rifle out 2 nights ago for a few hours paper practice, and on the way back home spotted a lone bunny in the field where I have permission. Needless to say this was an opportunity that I couldnt pass up and a pretty decent reward after punching holes through paper all night.

I parked up, dropped the tailgate, slid the S200 out of its case, loaded up and stalked away over to where i'd seen the bunny (hoping he was still there). Sure enough I caught sight of him as I rounded the corner of a tree line, I dropped to the floor, took aim and sent him summersaulting backwards - awesome! (His saddle and legs currently reside in my fridge :good: )

Then tonight as I finished work I spotted two bunnies about 150 yrds away having a whale of a time unaware I was watching them. I formulated a simple plan to creep around the back of them, keeping trees in between us until I had come within range. As I came within range I lowered myself to the ground and took aim, suddenly out of the corner of my eye there was movement to right side of me and a squirrel bounced into view between me and the rabbit.

It didnt take me long to decide which to drop, I hadnt taken a squirrel before and the rabbit could be hunted later, so as the squirrel went down, the rabbits bolted to cover and I retrieved the bag.

Anyway, getting to the point of the post. I've noticed that recently I've become more of an opportunistic hunter than anything else, and it seems to be working for me.

They say if you want to find somebody then just stay in the same place and they will find you, maybe thats true in this case.

Im interested to see what methods other people find most productive, do you find stalking works best for you? or decoying etc?

ive found waiting in a well known rabbit area siting in the cover its surprising how little time you have to b there b4 one comes along :blink:

Had a lovely opportunistic day yesterday!

Got one rabbit then went to another patch to get some magpies. Before I had even slit the rabbit to lay it out I got a magpie, I was just getting the angles right from my hiding spot when a big ****** settled in the branches, perfect shot!

However I could try exactly the same routine next week and draw a blank, it really is down to guess work and "gut feeling" sometimes. Something I am getting more of as my experience grows.

Had a lovely opportunistic day yesterday!

Got one rabbit then went to another patch to get some magpies. Before I had even slit the rabbit to lay it out I got a magpie, I was just getting the angles right from my hiding spot when a big ****** settled in the branches, perfect shot!

However I could try exactly the same routine next week and draw a blank, it really is down to guess work and "gut feeling" sometimes. Something I am getting more of as my experience grows.

Thats what I love sometimes, just being in the right place at the right time, then reaping the rewards. Some call it 'being in the zone' others call it 'experiance', whatever it is, it feels good in the moment, and I like it! :/

I parked up, dropped the tailgate, slid the S200 out of its case, loaded up and stalked away over to where i'd seen the bunny (hoping he was still there). Sure enough I caught sight of him as I rounded the corner of a tree line, I dropped to the floor, took aim and sent him summersaulting backwards - awesome! (His saddle and legs currently reside in my fridge :/ )

eat the squirrel and give the bunny to the dog

I like to set a base where I think my quarry will be on that particular day due to the weather and use that to keep my gear in, have my food, rest etc and then stalk from there.

Ideally the base will be near a sitting tree (you never know your luck) and have a nice view of where I plan to stalk so while I'm having a bite to eat/rest I can keep an eye on the comings or goings.

Setting up a permenant hide that you can sit in comfortably is very civilised on a summers evening. I did this next to a railway embankment about 50yds out in the field and just took pot shots all evening as they appeared, until it became too dark to see clearly.

For this I used 4 angle iron stakes and some old chicken wire covered the lot in hession sacks split open, it stood there all summer and I shot there using subs and a mod once a week (even took a book) sitting on a plastic bottle crate, good sport and didnt cost the earth.

:/ D2D

Most of the time I like to just wander around with the gun and shoot what turns up. I don't stalk as such, so never get big bags as I'm too noisy most of the time! I have a hollow oak that I sit in sometimes, with a slit open rabbit on the ground outside. The crows land in the tree for a chat, then get shot as they come down to feed. I try not to over shoot that method, as I'm sure they'll learn not to perch there if I make a habit of it. When I get the HMR, I'll spend more time sitting on a chair in a hedge somewhere and shooting the rabbits as they come out :oops:

It depends on the permission im on and which gun i have with me. If im on a small permission and i have me airgun and its a nice day, then what i ususally do is creep up to my favorite bury and just lie down and wait. Sometimes i have to wait 40-50 mins but they appear, wait for a safe shot, aim and fire. Others will just walk on, but i find that it is much more enjoyable to just lie and wait. If i can tell Mr Foxy has been about then i give him a squeak and see how close i can bring him in, i would never consider taking a shot though, i just find it interesting how close i can get him to come in.