Stubble turnips

Ganton

Went out just before first light this morning to see if I could bag 3 or 4 crows to use on turbo flappers/ floaters ect for a day out I have coming up next week. the plan was to loft a few crows up a small ash tree on a hedgerow running between a field of turnips and a field of grass. by 7.30am it soon became apparent I should have grabbed the pigeon decoys instead, at first there was just the odd pigeon coming in high up here and there to the turnip field behind me but no sign of a crow yet. I sat and watched bird after bird fly in but no real flightline so I just held tight where I was, eventually they were starting to come a bit closer to my ash tree and I finally started to pick out the odd bird when they came over. It went on the same until I had to pack in at 9am and finished up with 5 woodies. Went down to the gate at the end of the hedge because it was obvious there were a fair few pigeons on the turnips behind me. They were out on the far side of the field a rough guess of 70+ I think, a quick call home to say I'd be 10-15 mins late then watched them as I planned my set up and my excuses for tomorrow morning. I am really surprised because we've hardly any birds in my area for a while, just goes to show if they weren't there today they could be tomorrow ?. Hopefully they'll be back in the morning.

Had 10 pigeons over stubble turnips this afternoon, they've been hammering it for a couple of weeks now. A mate had 80 last week and they were shot again mid week, so the ones that were there were spooky. Another farmer friend also has pigeons all over his mustard, around here they seem keen for green fert

If anyone wants to see pigeons on stubble turnips look at the first field out of Moreton in Marsh on the left going south. The field is crawling with them as it was last year. Sadly the field cannot be shot as it is too close to the houses and is bounded by a footpath.

DSC05237-1.jpg