Deer Rifle in .308

Scotty99

Get yourself one of these. It does everything it should (and with absolute reliability and consistency) and the ladies absolutely love the way it looks.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=7c912bb81a11a3491cdf1fbeb163efb3&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=mqquote&t=305913,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,W985VjYG2mk'); //]]></script>0_zpsab416543.jpg&&0

Seriously though, if you like low maintenance (no wood), integral bipod (saving a oner right there) and two integral magazines (saving another oner right there) and a gun that is entirely sensible, practical and out of the box accurate then it's the rifle for you.

Oh and don't forget:

1. it's got a weaver rail right there - why oh why oh why do rifle manufacturers use anything else? Oh the stories I could recount on trying to get extra high mounts to fit a (wide) scope on a Bruno in .22 hornet. What a pain that was - never again.

2. it's got swivels and fixing points everywhere - add a sling or go mad tactical and bolt a torch on, no problem it's ready to go. No need to spend a small fortune at Midway getting adaptors and fixings and shizzle.

3. it's got a locking bolt and a thumb wheel operated safety - you need to play with a few rifles to understand just how brilliant a locking bolt and a thumb wheel top operated safety are

Mine got bounced out the back of a van. No stress (the scope was a Swaro and bless 'em they serviced it for nothing) and the gun just bounced. A wipe over with a wet one and we're back in business. No crying over dented wood or getting the steam iron out.

The end.

Looks Good but what is it?

• 4 months later...

Hi thanks everyone for your valuable input. I thought I would just close this thread with the outcome. I have gone for a Sako 85 SS Synthetic with a 20 inch barrel and Northstar mod. I love it, it is light, compact and very accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, thanks for the really good advice on this topic. In the end I did keep it light, plastic and short by going for a Sako 85, synthetic, stainless with a 20 inch barrel and have put a Northstar moderator on it. I have found it to be light, manoeverable and really accurate.

Next up is a 30-06 going for a Mauser M03 Extreme with open sights and a 23 inch barrel.

I am looking at getting a deer rifle in .308 for both woodland and possibly hill staking. Does anyone have any advice. I am think about possibly a Sako 85 or A7 - what has been you experience of these two or do you have some better suggestions.

Look into shortened barrel performance if you putting a moderator on, something the .308 will handle quite well and important for lugging about on long hill stalks and point ability off hand in woodland. RPA do a nice shortened one and its not too scary a price, both the above are good though I personally still favour the 75 and the vixen/forrester/finbar type from SAKO.

At the end of the day they will all shoot and the .308 is in the top two UK stalking calibre choices and fits into a medium action size

The 30-06 sounds interesting :good:

Yes I want something different, longer barrel, open sights and unmoderated (my son lives in the U.S. - Georgia - where moderators are not really allowed surprising given their gun laws) so I can take it over and hunt Whitetail, Hogs, Coyotes, Gators and Black Bear. Will probably put a scope on it for longer ranges, but a lot of hunting in Georgia is in quite thick forest.