Cartridge reloading - a few questions

If your looking for a set of scales have a look at the MTM DS-750 scales on the usual "Auction site." Use digital scales as they are quickeri and measure in grains as well as grammes.

Excellent, I'll look for some. I'm much more of a digital kind of guy anyway. :)

Thanks to all for some very positive comments and tips!

Ok, so i got the hand tools from Underdog in the post today. (i'm still on the hunt for a 20g Lee Load-all) and i thought i would have a go and see if i could produce something. I haven't bought any 'parts' yet, so i had to dissect a cartridge to get the bits needed. I would like to point out that i didn't shove a punch pin down and onto a live primer, i removed the one in the empty cartridge and simply put that one back in again, which was easy using the longer bar with the drilled hollow in the end. Then, after putting the powder and then plastic wad in, it was tamped down just a little, again using the longer bar. then, poured in the shot and tapped down. Next, inserted into the tube and pushed the tube right down to the rim of the cartridge metal cap, the old crimp began to close back over, at which point the mushroom top piece was inserted and knocked down until it was firm, then use it it know the whole cartridge back out of the tube. - Hey presto, not a bag looking crimp and a re-sized cartridge which slips easily into the chamber.

Here I was simply putting components from a eley vip 28gram #6 into used eley vip 28g #6 shell.

Spot on, many thanks to Underdog! Now to look at buying the real bits needed.

post-67251-0-38254100-1424896020_thumb.jpg

I'm a complete novice ( never loaded a single cartridge before). However I'm picking up two used PW loaders with 410 and 28 tooling tomorrow along with circa 1000 once fired Winchester AA 2 1/2" 410 hulls and 1000 Wincester AA red HS 410 Wads.

For my first attempt, I intend to load a reliable and consistent 14 gramme 410 clay load. John at FES was very helpful and recommended Alliant410 powder for the components I already have. He said SP3 would be ok for heavier 3" 18-19 gramme 410 loads but would be very wasteful on the smaller loads. He had some Tecna in stock but advised me to avoid as it was very difficult to measure our consistently through the PW.

Once I've mastered and tested these, I'll be looking to load some 24 gramme 70mm 28 bore cartridges for game and clay and John has recommended Vectan A0 for these and then I'll try some 3" 410 18-19 gramme game loads using his recommended SP3.

Mechman has been extremely helpful and really do appreciate everyone's help.

Sounds like good advice, as a novice it is best to use powders that volume meter consistently especially for the small gauges as they only use a liitle powder. SP3 is good powder for 3" .410 You can use several powders for the 2.1/2" but it may be best to avoid the bulky flake type of powders as they may not meter so well in very small quantities and take up more case space so I can see why

Alliant .410 was suggested.

Welcome new reloader.

Anyone know who stocks Alliant410? The nearer to East Anglian the better?

Or recommended another suitable 410 powder for the previously mentioned loads?

Have a word with those at Clay and Game. If they ain't got it they may be able to recommend someone who has. I only reload for 12 bore and get shot and wads by mail order from FES. You can't get down there for the £9.50 or so postage so it is worthwhile. Powder and primers I get together with a mate and we go down, splitting the cost.

I use Vectan powder which is half the cost of the American powder. As yet, the books don't often carry recipes using the European powders such as Vectan which is a pity. Fortunately FES has them and will get you one if he hasn't.

If you want to reload for clays then you would do well to get hold of a press. Mind you I don't know how many shells you normally shoot and how often?

Edited by Uncle Albert

Anyone know who stocks Alliant410? The nearer to East Anglian the better?

Or recommended another suitable 410 powder for the previously mentioned loads?

Hi.

I do not load 410 but I have American Data [Lyman & BPI] for the powders Underdog mentions plus others however I don't know what powders for 410 are available in UK. If you need any data just PM with a list of your components and I will see what I can find.

Fair point on tbe'dump them' comment, its just a supply it I wanted from a local shooting school that has their own branded cartridges.it does seem the most data to to 70mm

The tool is for 70mm really, but just tried it on 65mm and it worked just fine! A credit to yhoyr tooling.