Pigeon shooting professionals

starlight32

I have been wondering for a long now, we have all read a lot about them and watched many of their videos/dvd's- Does anyone know how the household names in Pigeon shooting got started and how they made a living prior?

Obviously many of them have now set up on their own businesses as pigeon guides/equipment suppliers, but what about in the run up to becoming leading pigeon shooters in the field? Were many actually paid as crop controllers, or paid/sponsored by magazines/manufacturers?

We read so much particlarly regarding members who are trying very hard to secure themselves some shooting permissions and it would be interesting if anyone knows how they all made it, got all their land etc- after all whatever your chosen profession you stilll need to earn a crust?

P.S I not thinking of a career change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards starlight32

I believe many started off as part-timers, combining the pigeon shooting with their "real" jobs.

Having "real" jobs that involved shift working, writing, having a shop, or something similar , meant they could be available during parts of the day.

I don't know of any professional pigeon shooters (apart from Council/Private pest controllers of ferals) and would suggest that few actually exist.

Landowners are not going to pay someone to do something, they can get done for free.

Starlight, this is how they started:

Most of them began mid 80's through early 90's.

In the mid 80's it was very easy to aquire pigeon shooting and before you knew it you had permission on more farms than you and your mate could handle, so more mates were introduced until you either formed a club or became a guide! It was that simple.

One of the first pigeon guides was a guy called Richardson from Aberdeen who made the first wyrley machine and one of his customers from Oxford copied it and now he's got the biggest website!!!!!!!!!!!

'Pigeon Mania' was one of the first to advertise shooting by the day I'm pretty sure it was DIY at £30.00per day and a couple of fields were alocated.

They also marketed spring steel bumsticks which they called 'Simplex Gliders', these had a kickplate and adjustable wing bar at £7.50 each or two for 12quid!

Tony Orchard (Apple Sporting - now defunct) an engineer who shot pigeons was the first to make and sell custom hide poles in 1990, which in turn got Tony Carey- also a pigeon shooting engineer - interested and he formed Pinewood Sporting.

Well I think cranfield got it to the nearest what I was trying to find out, although the information countryboy gave I thought was quite interesting. When I asked about professionals I was interested how the main players made their living really- to be as good as they are it is like everything- you have to work at it don't you?

So if you are shooting pigeons all day and no-one is paying you for it you need an income from somewhere.

Regards Starlight32

I thought starlight32 was talking about "professional pigeon shooters", ie people paid to shoot pigeons. <_<

Brian, there are no professional woodpigeon shooters, and there never have been mate!

In my first reply I was referring to the so-called professional pigeon guides, sorry if I misled anyone including you.

C.B.:~}

Stand to your permissions if so called pigeon guides move into your area for one thing is sure they will try their best to squeeze everyone else out with promises of pest control and payment to landowners.

Blackpowder,

I did'nt realize that either- The pigeon guides actually pay for the land they shoot over?

I thought they got it because of their availability during the week and always when required. This pigeon guiding lark seems a bit all close shop to me.

Regards Starlight32

If you class someone as a profesional pigeon shooter who gets paid by the land owner to do so then I guess I am one, since Christmas i've been doing that ,I used to do it for free but then I got so much that it became a full time job so now if land owners want there Vermin controlled they pay or I don't go.

The business is regestered as

RYEDALE VERMIN & PEST CONTROL

Agricultural Industrial Domestic

All types of Vermin & Pests Controlled

Stand to your permissions if so called pigeon guides move into your area for one thing is sure they will try their best to squeeze everyone else out with promises of pest control and payment to landowners.

Blackpowder,

I did'nt realize that either- The pigeon guides actually pay for the land they shoot over?

I thought they got it because of their availability during the week and always when required. This pigeon guiding lark seems a bit all close shop to me.

Regards Starlight32

Yes starlight32 lost a place last year to a pro who was offering £15 per Gun to farmer but only for exclusive rights. I dont know how much the farm has been used by this guy as I have not been back with plenty other permissions in the locality. Other shooters I know have lost ground to this same guy under similair circumstances.

I thought starlight32 was talking about "professional pigeon shooters", ie people paid to shoot pigeons. :good:

Brian, there are no professional woodpigeon shooters, and there never have been mate!

In my first reply I was referring to the so-called professional pigeon guides, sorry if I misled anyone including you.

C.B.:~}

So what would you call someone who is paid to shoot woodpigeons??? and no smutty replies please :blink: