Chrony F1

Bought a Brand new F1 Chrony of eBay and i cant get it to work. :rolleyes:

I may just be incredibly stupid.

But i got it turned on and it said AL and flashes on each side like it says it should.

I just can't get a reading! I tried my hand, socks, pens and lots of bb pellets but no reading.

Tried with the poles and without.

I know i should try bullets but it's raining super Heavy outside!

Am i doing something wrong or does it just need to be bullets?

Help Hugely appreciated! :)

ok i understand! I was using AC!

Is the screens the big white things on the top?

What are they used for?

Do you not use them when dark only when sunny?

Soo many questions! :lol:

Normal tungsten filament - e.g. the "old fashioned" - lamps work OK, but energy saving or fluorescent type lamps won't work.

Have you read the instructions?

Kinda. Soo much writing!

And at that point im withdrawing from any further assistance

No problem! Thanks you helped me out Alot!!! :good:

Normal tungsten filament - e.g. the "old fashioned" - lamps work OK, but energy saving or fluorescent type lamps won't work.

good to know! Cheers!

I have a Chrony F1 and have found that the thing hates not having the white sun shades on whatever the weather is if you are outside. If they are not on you get errors 90% of the time unless you are mm perfect with the shot. Hence I put the shades on all the time outside and get good readings.

Indoors I found useing LED lighting worked well as a direct source. You can get away with the lighting being the old tungsten filament lamps but again you tend to hit a lot of error issues unless you are inch perfect with the sensors.

Got out yesterday with the chrony and got a few readings. Realised it doesn't work with airsoft pellets and didn't work with .177 air rifle pellets.

Worked ok with .22 pellets. Only ever got the readings if shot down low and directly over sensors! I thought the rods picked it up and you just needed to shoot between rods??

I thought the rods picked it up and you just needed to shoot between rods??

It's an *optical* device; the rods are there merely to hold the diffusers in place. (Also, it should be able to measure the speed of pretty much anything it can "see".)

For indoor use, I put the diffusers on and attach two battery-powered LED torches on top using a frame made of bent wire coat-hangers. Works a treat. :)

Regards,

Mark.

It works by the shadow of the bullet or pellet passing over the light sensitive sensors. Pretty obvious I would have thought!

The diffuser screens need to be in place for best reliability. A brightly overcast day also helps.

I fit mine to a photographic tripod so it is easy to adjust for height and position then bench shoot through it with the rifle on a bipod.

Typically my Chrony will be about 18 inches in front of the muzzle with the bullet passing centrally about 2 inches above the sensors.

It works with air rifle pellets just as well as rimfire and centrefire and even paint balls.

Important thing is to check the barrel alignment a few times before pulling the trigger. Mine has a nice chunk missing from the rear sensor housing thanks to a slightly off course airgun pellet :)

if you want to replace the housing I have a spear that you can have for £15..its new as I had the same problem but you cant just buy one.

As Fister and dadioles have said it's an optical device and an interruption to light into BOTH sensors will start and stop a timer which then allows speed to be worked out.

The shades are there to provide a uniform background light to make it easier to detect a drop in light levels. For me to have a successful trip out with the chrono I've found I need to:-

Do it outside

Generally speaking use the shades.

Only try when sun (even when overcast) is at least 45 deg above the horizion

Make sure the barrel, sensor1, sensor2 and the target are in a dead straight line. It is very sensitive to slight misalignments. You can't just shoot anywhere within the wire supports.

Make sure the chrono is a least 3 metres away from a full bore muzzle as the manual says (or else use somebody elses - sorry Sparkie!!) as the blast knocks the shades all over the place :whistling:

other than that it is, as has been said above, an 'out of the box' worker

Edited by LeadWasp