204 reloading

i put 40 vmax down mine tryed 32 noslers and 32/39 b/k sierra,s but stuck to the 40 grain vmax deadly accurate gave me the best group so stuck with them very flat out to 250 mts,,powder i use h4895,,,, or varget or benchmark,,, primmers cci benchrest

The seller is giving me the remainder of his h322 so will start there. Anyone know what the availability of RL 10x is like at the moment?

In terms of COL, most of the stuff I have found on the net has people working within SAMMI specs? Any views on this?

Cheers

Stu

i haven't had any problem getting 10 x.as for col when i was waiting for my 204 to be built i made up some rounds with 25gr of 10x at 100 thou over book length with a view to seat the bullet just off the lands once i had the rifle and the correct measurement. at the time i didn't know about the long freebore of the 204 and turns out that the rounds i made were still a long way off the lands ,shot them anyway and they will group well under 1/2" so have never altered col

Stu

I have had a couple of .204" s and ended up with the same (warm) load in both, I am not sure how experienced you are at reloading so I will say please start a couple of grains back from this info and work up checking for pressure signs

Winchester brass 1.850"

Rem 7 1/2 primers

Sierra 39gr SBK

Hogdons BLC2 , 29.7gr

OAL to ogive 1.915"

0.002" neck tension

I always annealed after every firing and full length sized this gave me 9 reloads before losing any brass

The 40gr bullets are better in a faster twist but some standard twist will stabilise them

Give Dave Follwell a ring at Bowtec in BIrtley he carries most reloading components and actually ran a .204" for a while

The seller is giving me the remainder of his h322 so will start there. Anyone know what the availability of RL 10x is like at the moment?

In terms of COL, most of the stuff I have found on the net has people working within SAMMI specs? Any views on this?

Cheers

Stu

Three things to say hear really

1) why not ask him for his load data for that rifle to give you a good start and then you can play around with the load that you like

2) the 39gn sbk are are a proper pain to get hold of at times ( mine would not shoot anything but the 39gn and 35gn burgers)

3) Be careful buying a used 204 i am on my second one now and the first did"t do to much. So unless you know exactly what its done get a smith to bore scope it for you there nowt worse than paying good money 100 rounds later its gone from sub 1/4" too 4-5 or even 10" groups as my fist one went from 1/4" @ 200 yrds to 1 hit on a 12" target out of 5 rounds in less that 100 round. Total for my first one was 1953 rounds.

Not trying to put you off or anything i think they are a great round if a bit fiddly on the loading side at times but ace when you let one go and see the bullet strike and old mr foxes gives it :bye2::bye2:

it makes you go :D