eLobby to repeal the Hunting Act

tomov

My local MP, Peter Lilley (Cons) replied to my letter.

An excerpt:

"I personally have never taken part in or even attended a hunt. But when the Act was before Parliament, I took the view that hunting with dogs should not be banned given that the Burns report concluded that if hunting was banned the alternative methods of controlling foxes are likely to be as bad or worse for the fox than hunting them with dogs. Nor could I see any reason for singling out hunting with dogs while permitting shooting and angling."

Very good to see a non hunter taking the evidence which was put forward at the time, along with a common courtesy to the wider community.

:good:

Not sure what to think of that personally. He hasn't stated he would vote for a repeal, but has given the impression that he would vote in support of a ban if shooting and fishing were included also. Or have I read it wrong?

Edited by Scully

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my reply from our MP in south thanet:

Dear

Thank you for your email and apologies that it has taken me until now to set up my office and reply.

I support many of the aims of the Countryside Alliance and the Country Land and Business Association (CLA). Whilst I would not have supported the introduction of The Hunting Act 2004 had I been an MP at the time, we are where we are and its repeal is not an issue that preoccupies me for urgent use of limited Parliamentary time.

I do not know at this time whether the government intends to carry through proposals for a free vote on the repeal of the Hunting Act, nor the timescales involved. It was not part of the Queen's speech.

I do not regard this as a pressing matter for repeal, and I would prefer that the status quo simply remains, but if brought forwards I will listen to the national debate, and the viewpoints advanced by the various groups, both for and against, and will obviously listen carefully to the views of my constituents should a Bill be brought forwards and I will decide accordingly at that time.

You can be assured that my main driving force is to advance the welfare of our wild animal species and am against all unnecessary animal cruelty.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a reply from Rory Stewart. For reasons of copyright and confidentiality I cannot copy verbatim the reply, but it waffled on about how many hours were spent debating the hunting act, how interesting and informative the Hanserd report and the Burns report both are, and the fact there would be a free vote, all of which I'm aware of, but absolutely no inclination as to which way he would vote. So there you go.

I finally got a reply frim my local MP.

Thank you for contacting me about the Hunting Act 2004.

I appreciate the strong feelings that many people have on this issue and I share your concern for ensuring the welfare of all animals.

The Prime Minister has said that a majority Conservative Government will give Parliament the opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act on a free vote, with a government bill in government time.

In the event of such a vote, I would vote to repeal it. In my judgement the Act does nothing to protect wild animals and, in many cases, is actually detrimental to animal welfare when other methods of control are deployed, several of which can be indiscriminate.

I am sorry if this is not the response you were seeking but I do appreciate that many people have strongly held views about hunting. I respect this and that is why the issue has been voted on in a free vote for many years.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

James Cleverly

Member of Parliament for Braintree