Broadband wifi help

phill.p

I have a dead spot with my home wifi in one downstairs room, it just happens to be where the Mrs likes to sit and use her ipad. The router is upstairs, but I have a second wall connection in the said room. I have moved the router to that room and tried it and it works fine, but then the kids dont get a good connection. I thought i would be able to simply add a second wifi router on the same system and fix the issue, but of course nothing is that simple. The second router i have is the same as my original a Netgear superhub.

The IP Address shows the same as does the subnet and router numbers. The DNS number is different though.

Does any tech minded amongst you know if this could be done?

Yes you can - however I believe you have to connect the two routers with a cat5 cable, and go in and re-configure them onto the same subnet. If you google "setting up 2 routers for wifi" or something like that you will find loads of articles showing you how to do it!

I tried a plug in booster as AVB mentioned, but didn't work for me. I ended up running a cat5 cable from router to my office and putting in a powered mini hub which I connect to with a cable - get the full 100Mb speed :)

some routers can be set up to extend a wireless network. I don't know if your netgear can. Like MrM says, a cat5 cable is the easiest, but so long as the wifi between the routers is good then you can extend them via wifi most of the time. In my house I have a phillips router, but then into an apple network (airport extreme + 2 express) as we have a similar issue with thick walls. I didn't set up a multi router system, but since I have 2 spare routers sitting idle I have checked into it and it is possible, providing you can control the routers for it.

thanks

rick

You just need to link the second router to the first with cat5 then set it as an access point rather than as a router. That means turning off DHCP and pointing it to the first router as its default gateway and DNS. If laying the cable is a problem you can use powerline adapters to send data along your internal power lines.

You just need to link the second router to the first with cat5 then set it as an access point rather than as a router. That means turning off DHCP and pointing it to the first router as its default gateway and DNS. If laying the cable is a problem you can use powerline adapters to send data along your internal power lines.

Understand the first sentence and last sentence completely.

Could you explain the middle one in basic terms, preferably using words of one syllable that a complete technophobe can follow.

My comments about DNS and IP address numbers must have mislead you into thinking I know a little about this stuff.

DHCP means dynamic host configuration protocol which is the process of handing out IP adresses to devices on your network. You only want your main router to do this along with giving out internet access. DNS means domain name service which is the process of pointing a device at an IP adress when it looks up a name ie: google.com. For both these things you just want your main router to do this. The second access point needs to act like a switch that just happens to also give out wireless. It will refer any requests back to your main router which will also offer dns services. So the second router needs a static ip adress on the same range as the first router pointing at it for dns and it needs DHCP turned off. Then it will pass traffic through. Just like if it was just a network switch. It also needs the wireless set with the same ssid but using a different radio channel so it doesn't conflict.

Edited by srspower

Just use a wifi extender via the mains. Goggle TP-Link wifi extender.

My house ha poor reception as it has concrete floors. I added two extenders to the children's rooms and works perfectly

As above.

I live in a old Cornish farmhouse with walls about 2ft think but a few extenders in a couple of places has solved my problems with bad signal.