land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic job on the restoration of this CSW! Just following up after finding this thread back in March.

This may or may not be of interest to you, but re the rear window tracks, these are usually felt. Felt traps water and overtime rots and grown moss etc.

Rocky Mountain do rubber tracks as an alternative. Ok it's not original -and at £80, and investment; but it also means that you won't be replacing the tracks in x years...

http://rockymountainspares.co.uk/product/window-track/

Guide about replacement - although you know these vehicles inside out now :)

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRsideWindow.htm

I also have a Russet Brown County, so if you need pics for ref or info, let me know. cheers

#brownisbestcolourforseries3 :)

Fantastic job on the restoration of this CSW! Just following up after finding this thread back in March.

This may or may not be of interest to you, but re the rear window tracks, these are usually felt. Felt traps water and overtime rots and grown moss etc.

Rocky Mountain do rubber tracks as an alternative. Ok it's not original -and at £80, and investment; but it also means that you won't be replacing the tracks in x years...

I also have a Russet Brown County, so if you need pics for ref or info, let me know. cheers

cheers mate, ill be selling it when its done so the window tracks will not be my worry :lol::lol: and iv already got the felt ones :good:

you are right, russet brown is the best colour, not something you see every day, well i guess me and you do :lol::lol:

i took plenty of pics when i started but as it turns out i should of taken more, so may take you up on that offer one day :good::good::good:

Are you saying they made 2 :lol:

wash your mouth out young man :innocent::innocent::innocent:

put some picture on anyway, always nice to see to se another S3 :good::good:

so we are going to be treated to "dulux double autumn filth"..now.......... :lol::lol:

that colour was specially comissioned by the sanitary health dept' for landrovers working in the confines of sewage works..

Edited by ditchman

well the verdict is in...

called the bloke who has done the spraying this morning asking for the end total as he has now finished it all.

when he first started a 9 months ago he mentioned a price of around £2000, i explained it was all to do in and out and there would be no rush so he could just do it in between his other jobs, he did actually say "you wont get much change out of £2000" and that it depended on the amount of filling and how bad the panels were, pretty much every part iv taken up hes said that it was nice and straight and a lot better than he thought it was going to be, so when i asked for a price he said i will tot it up and let you know in a bit, an hour later he text and said its come to £3300 :no::no:

so i text back saying, have you made a mistake and really ment £2300, he said it was a starting point, so i said i didnt expect to haggle on a mates rate job, you just give me your best price, so i told him to stop ******* about and give me his best price, an hour later he came back with £2700, im guessing there may still be room for maneuver, as he had mentioned £2000 and £3000 in the past i was thinking id be happy enough with £2500, so thats what im aiming for :good::good:

I always get a quote rather than an estimate. I appreciate that in this case, it would not have been that simple.

That said, if he initially says around £2k, it is a massive step up to £3.3k. I would have expected him to mention this along the way.

If you are happy at £2.5k, I would suggest he has also got to be or he can whistle.

iv asked him loads of times along the way for any indication but he has always been reluctant to answer,

having never had any painting done before iv no idea how much it costs so i was always in the dark as to any idea,

and with it being a mates rates job and the fact it was an old land rover where he had not seen any of it he said any kind of estimate/quote would be to difficult, which i thought was fair enough, i dont want to fall out with him over a few quid nor do i want to try rip him off, but i also dont want to be paying more than i have to, i guess there has been a fair few bits to do, as well as oll the outsides, most of the insides, bulkhead,2 roofs,all the floor panels and seat base, i dont think £2500 is to bad :good::good:

i think 2.5k is plenty...........a respray of a landrover would be .......£1300 ??.................and that involves all the masking up and awkward rubbing down............he has had none of that...he has had just panels to deal with.........................

work it out this way..............ring a spray shop and say "if i brought a landrover front wing in...what would it cost to rub-prime-spray".............

you mate has had 10 spray sessions...and at £200 a pop/panel..average ...even that is two grand....................im no spray expert.....but i rekon mates rates on just rubbing good panels priming and spray.............under no pressure no time limit .....hospital jobs.............cash ...£1700........

be nice if someone with some knowledge of spraying contributes cause im just guessing

hes done the rear tub, paint outside,Schultz underside and nothing inside.

full bulkhead, x2 front wings, plus schultz undersides.

bonnet paint outside and schultz inside then paint,

x 3 doors, just a blow over on the insides as they have door cards on. new doors.

seat base, floor panels

radiator panel,

x2 sides full job.

roof plus safari top, no paint inside,

might have to start a " just giving page" so you can all chip in for my paint job :lol::lol::lol::lol:

naaawwww...............go for crowd funding.... :good::good:

when he asks you to clean his grannies windows....charge her £100 /window......simples

Edited by ditchman