land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My best mate (who is a Land Rover Series Restorer) says you may make a killing selling it to the Middle East. They are paying silly money for old Land Rovers at the moment.

how would you go about getting the middle east to see it, it can go anywhere in the world for me :good::good:

That vin plate with the hole in is preferable to a copy!

probably, at least its original, only thing is, i had a couple of practice goes on it in the spare line above the serial No, will take a pic later, :oops:

question.

some time ago when i got my galvanising done and it kind of ruined my safari roof vents, as they were shut tight and the springs had seized due to the galvanising, i was wondering if shot blasting would take the galv off, then id just paint them, :hmm::hmm:

blow lamp...........zinc has a low melting point...just keep fiddling and moving it until its free.........(like when you are in the shower)

any clean flame.....just use enough heat to melt and free it...not to burn the zinc...ok............let us know how you get on..........play the flame ...dont concentrate it in the one spot...

i shall go give it ago, as long as my brother is at his garage :good:

John Brown is always looking for good examples, might be worth sending him some pics or having a chat.

http://www.johnbrown4x4.com/current-stock/land-rover-series-3-completely-rebuilt-ksf

if thats worth £22.000 mines worth £30.000 :good::good: it would be interesting to see what he would value it at, or offer me, although i dont like it going to some one else for them to make money on, unless it was a good offer :good::good:

any clean flame.....just use enough heat to melt and free it...not to burn the zinc...ok............let us know how you get on..........play the flame ...dont concentrate it in the one spot...

In the danger of mentioning something as vile as Health & safety in this wonderfuly non-metrosexual l thread, do This outside as the fumes are noxious

well that went about as well as some thing that didnt go well AT ALL!!

heated them up with something i had in the garage, managed to get the spring bit free/ish then turned it over to do the hinge, by the time id done that the spring had cooled and hardened, did that a few times on 3 of them and gave in, also noticed iv separated the weld or whatever it was, so now im going to paint the inside and they will just have to be for show, :unhappy::unhappy:

post-9513-0-71292600-1473085711_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-74060600-1473085721_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-34043400-1473085747_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-61914000-1473085761_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-64379400-1473085799_thumb.jpg

In the danger of mentioning something as vile as Health & safety in this wonderfuly non-metrosexual l thread, do This outside as the fumes are noxious

i wore a mask, always do health and safety now and think about everything before i do it, even the simplest of jobs, once a chassis, axles, and springs drop on you and nearly crush you to death, you tend to think about theses things a little more :lol::lol::good::good:

Viking did you have any cracks in your steering wheel? I've done mine and I am quite pleased with it, especially considering that the place that restores them wants about £300 to refurb it! I was going to post a picture of it all done but it seems I haven't taken one. Pics of all sorts of rusty carp but few of the nice bits.

I think derusting and zinc rich paint may have been the way to go on the vents.

Edited by Lord O War

you cant put them vents back in like that.....no no no no no no......give them to you mate to unseize and he can tickle it up with weld and you can paint them up with aluminium paint.............

think what might happen.....curry the previous night...egg sarnies for breakfast...drive out at lunchtime with friends in the back....it will be like blowing off in a lift ...captive audiance.....vents dont work......

inquest..........death by methane gas.......

if he cant do them send them to me ...you have my address... :good:

Edited by ditchman

Viking did you have any cracks in your steering wheel? I've done mine and I am quite pleased with it, especially considering that the place that restores them wants about £300 to refurb it! I was going to post a picture of it all done but it seems I haven't taken one. Pics of all sorts of rusty carp but few of the nice bits.

I think derusting and zinc rich paint may have been the way to go on the vents.

no no cracks at all, it was just a bit grotty, and some surface rust on the center cap, i just cleaned it up and gave it a light dust of paint, wrong or right it looks good :good::good:

you cant put them vents back in like that.....no no no no no no......give them to you mate to unseize and he can tickle it up with weld and you can paint them up with aluminium paint.............

think what might happen.....curry the previous night...egg sarnies for breakfast...drive out at lunchtime with friends in the back....it will be like blowing off in a lift ...captive audiance.....vents dont work......

inquest..........death by methane gas.......

if he cant do them send them to me ...you have my address... :good:

thank you for keeping me true Simon, deep down i knew they couldn't go back on like that, i will have a word with my mate tomorrow see if he knows what to do, if not there on there wat to Norfolk to see Da Boss :good::good::good::good::good: