land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

question, how come on my land rover when i got it there were holes in it for the key lock, with the new doors i got there wasnt, WHY?

when i ordered a full new set of door handels/locks they were different to the originals,WHY?

but as it happened they fit as the new doors did not have any holes in,

the back door is the original one and still has its hole so the new lock is no good as when the lock is in the hole is redundant, i was thinking clean old lock up or buy a new one, i just dont see whats with all the change.for a new lock and striker its looking like £50 :hmm::hmm:

well despite spending most of the day in the garage, not a lot seemed to get done, but every job done is one ticked off the list, and you all know it takes me twice as long to do something than it would take anyone else, and most of the time i have to do it twice :lol::lol:

first job today was a rite good clean up,and sort all the lose,half used bogs of nuts and bolts, ******** things all over the shop. :no:

my mate came today for a couple of hours, left and was supposed to return at tea time but never did,

his time was spend messing about with all the wires, not knowing anything about wires iv no idea how far he got :lol::lol: all i know is hes made a start :good::good:

post-9513-0-09490100-1480880577_thumb.jpg

then i decided to get the glass in the back bits, gets it all out of the way and avoids it getting damaged,

first i had to sort the retainer strips out, gave them a rub down with some emery tape then a coat or two of silver paint, came up a treat and they dont even look like they have been painted.

got all the glass stuck in with out much of a do, screwd all the retainers in, as i was going i could see the screws wernt going home properly, to much sticking out when they were tight, couldnt use the proper new ones i have as the existing holes were to big, so i took them all out and drilled a bigger hole in the retainer only, and put them all back in, took a fair while as i had to get into some rite positions to screw them in :yes::yes: but we got there in the end :good::good:

post-9513-0-51846400-1480881113_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-12724200-1480881120_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

question, how come on my land rover when i got it there were holes in it for the key lock, with the new doors i got there wasnt, WHY?

when i ordered a full new set of door handels/locks they were different to the originals,WHY?

but as it happened they fit as the new doors did not have any holes in,

the back door is the original one and still has its hole so the new lock is no good as when the lock is in the hole is redundant, i was thinking clean old lock up or buy a new one, i just dont see whats with all the change.for a new lock and striker its looking like £50 :hmm::hmm:

Due to their age ie later on in the Series 3 range, Countys came with anti-burst door locks. Hence needing separate holes in the doors. :)

Due to their age ie later on in the Series 3 range, Countys came with anti-burst door locks. Hence needing separate holes in the doors. :)

cheers simpo, thats just what i thought :lol::lol::good:

That Forward Control down the road from me went for £6.6K. Bit of a bargain

a fair bit less than i thought it would of gone for, bet you wished you'd of had a tickle at it now :good::good: