land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

Thanks Gordon.

Enjoying doing it myself.

I wasn't going to bother as I thought know one would be interested.

Turns out I was wrong.

A couple of years ago on a Land Rover forum, can't remember if it was landy zone or something like that there was a bloke doing up a lightweight I think he'd done it all over a year and the posted all pictures in order with before during and after on all parts and things he'd done with a little description on each photo. It was a fantastic read and fascinating to see the work done and transformation and it was FFR with a mass of radio equipment in it. Iv tried to find it several times but Iv had no joy.

Hmmm :hmm: :hmm: :hmm::lol: :lol: :lol:

That manual will be worn out by the time I'm finished. Parts manual is also good for seeing how things come apart and go back together. And in some cases better than the manual.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well the mistake was the spare locking washer in the picture, thought someone would mention it, for some odd reason one of the sides had 2 on but only needed the one. :good:

and im now back on the laptop, £96 for a new screen and fitting, all done within the hour whilst i went to Morrison over the road, :yes:

Times that by 6 or 7 mate and we can have a chat.

Just been down your end of the world to pick some wheels and tyres up so it can come off the jack stands when axels and springs are on, £20 from ponti.

I didn't need the manual mate. But the axle slipped off the blocks of wood when I was tightening some nuts and bolts and it just happened to flip the book open on the put axles back together page

PM me next time kettles on

got a bit more done today, got the front axle back together after some messing about, tried to put them back together and released id put the chrome Swivel balls back in up side down, so had to take them back apart and sort them out, rite laugh :no::no: but i got there in the end.as my mate has turned out to be a massive let down and never turns up im going to have to try attempt to put axles and springs on on my own, what a task that will be, as iv not got a clue but im going to spend the night finding out instead of going out for a drink like i should off been seen as iv not have a drink over xmas yet, not that that bothers me.

ps, heavy ******** they are,

post-9513-0-15687000-1451239462_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-32006200-1451239470_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-88368500-1451239490_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-40267000-1451239498_thumb.jpg

axels on the floor

1. put wheels on
  2. put springs on
  3. balance chassis with counter weight other end
  4. push axel in
  5. attatch spring 1st
  6. attatch shackle

repeat for rear as the other end has now a counterweight (axel)

edit..............find wheelbarrow and put a soft pillow in it............so you can push your gonads around in comfort after the job !! :lol:

Edited by ditchman

axels on the floor

1. put wheels on
  2. put springs on
  3. balance chassis with counter weight other end
  4. push axel in
  5. attatch spring 1st
  6. attatch shackle

repeat for rear as the other end has now a counterweight (axel)

edit..............find wheelbarrow and put a soft pillow in it............so you can push your gonads around in comfort after the job !! :lol:

so am i right in thinking you mean get it to this kind of stage then push into place and fix to chassis

post-9513-0-51243800-1451244602_thumb.jpg

that sounds better than the other way i was thinking, its getting easier already, make me want to go do it now :lol:

now thw shackles iv got that i was looking at earlier are a bit different so wondered how they go, as you can see some have an extra bit on them, there is obviously a particular way they go, im sure i will work it out but knowledge is power so they say :good:

post-9513-0-16799300-1451245016_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-58903100-1451245024_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-96083100-1451245040_thumb.jpg

Are the springs handed, ie left and right, check before you put them on. Dont torque every thing up at this stage.

the springs are "handed"....i remember VIKING mentioning that a while ago..............i think the springs are marked..................if you have a problem get RodP a PM he used to do this stuff for a living......

that sounds better than the other way i was thinking, its getting easier already, make me want to go do it now :lol:

now thw shackles iv got that i was looking at earlier are a bit different so wondered how they go, as you can see some have an extra bit on them, there is obviously a particular way they go, im sure i will work it out but knowledge is power so they say :good:

Have a look inside the extra bit as you call it, the clue is there. When you dismantled the spring shackles, one bolt went straight through with lock nuts on the end. The other bolt went through one side of shackle into threaded part at other side and then locked off.