land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As you know ive been fissling about with my engine...i have run it up 15-20 times using a thin semi-sinthetic oil just to bed the pistons in as they are close honed to the bores,,...and i have noticed that whilst running it gently and stopping it before it gets too hot ...that there is a bit of vapour/smoke wihspering out of the heater unions....didnt really bother about it as it is normal as the casting sweats the oil and stuff out of the metal.............so i expected it to dissapear after several runs ...which it DID'NT !

HHHHmmmmmm !!!!....cracked head ? cracked block ?....both were tested ...but i have quite high compression now until i run the engine in...couldnt be a crack surely ?..alll the bores pressures were EXACTLY 400psi...if there was a small crack somewhere there would be a slight differance.........

i did tourque the head down a second time the day after ...and that was fine.....HHmmmmm ? !

it does say //..."re-tourque the head down after running"........................so out comes the wrench...set it at 130Kn.......tried it on one bolt....whoops goes half a turn the "CLICK"...130KN.........................out come the injectors off comes the rocker box and off comes the aluminuim turb-housing

all the bolts went quarter -half turn before the wrench clicked at 130Kn....which is maybe ,25mm extra down onto the head gasket ...which is a lot..........all goes back together again with new washers.....ran it up........BONZER... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: happy days...not a smiggin of vapour....the head was not tight enuff......may have got away with an old engine with lower compression ...but not this one....a bit of vapour must have pushed past the gasket into the cooling passages

jobs a gooden

so Lee...you have new pistons...like mine....so dont forget to re-tourque your head down after you have run it for a short while ........ :good:

That used to be a problem on the Ford SOHC Pinto engines. Put a new head gasket on - lift engine into car - don't bother re-torquing and you get a leak on passenger side of head at the front. That was because the lifting eyes were bolted to the head and it lifted it slightly.

It doesn't do any harm to double check the torque.

new

As you know ive been fissling about with my engine...i have run it up 15-20 times using a thin semi-sinthetic oil just to bed the pistons in as they are close honed to the bores,,...and i have noticed that whilst running it gently and stopping it before it gets too hot ...that there is a bit of vapour/smoke wihspering out of the heater unions....didnt really bother about it as it is normal as the casting sweats the oil and stuff out of the metal.............so i expected it to dissapear after several runs ...which it DID'NT !

HHHHmmmmmm !!!!....cracked head ? cracked block ?....both were tested ...but i have quite high compression now until i run the engine in...couldnt be a crack surely ?..alll the bores pressures were EXACTLY 400psi...if there was a small crack somewhere there would be a slight differance.........

i did tourque the head down a second time the day after ...and that was fine.....HHmmmmm ? !

it does say //..."re-tourque the head down after running"........................so out comes the wrench...set it at 130Kn.......tried it on one bolt....whoops goes half a turn the "CLICK"...130KN.........................out come the injectors off comes the rocker box and off comes the aluminuim turb-housing

all the bolts went quarter -half turn before the wrench clicked at 130Kn....which is maybe ,25mm extra down onto the head gasket ...which is a lot..........all goes back together again with new washers.....ran it up........BONZER... :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: happy days...not a smiggin of vapour....the head was not tight enuff......may have got away with an old engine with lower compression ...but not this one....a bit of vapour must have pushed past the gasket into the cooling passages

jobs a gooden

so Lee...you have new pistons...like mine....so dont forget to re-tourque your head down after you have run it for a short while ........ :good:

thats news you can use :good::good: will check mine tomorrow, and when its been run for the first time :good::good:

should get radiator panel back tomorrow, and getting a few of the bits and bats put back on the engine :yes:

get the bloody thing started ....give Bonny the kiss of life................or as we say down here in norfolk..."artificial desperation"..........then you can celibrate with a "glass of milk of amnesia...(beer) "

what oil are you putting in the engine ??

Edited by ditchman

When i first had my series i made the mistake of running my engine with modern plant engine oil because i could obtain it free. Big mistake, within 6 months it was burning oil big time. Honed the bores and fitted new pistons and rings, in no time at all it was burning oil again. Picked up another engine, drained and flushed it, put in Comma Classic oil, job done. In my opinion, run old engines on old spec oil.

Edited by la bala

When i first had my series i made the mistake of running my engine with modern plant engine oil because i could obtain it free. Big mistake, within 6 months it was burning oil big time. Honed the bores and fitted new pistons and rings, in no time at all it was burning oil again. Picked up another engine, drained and flushed it, put in Comma Classic oil, job done. In my opinion, run old engines on old spec oil.

im running mine on comma 15w-40 pure mineral oil........nice and quiet...and being slightly thicker higher compression when cold...................if you want to knock yer shells out use semi sinthetic...........it dont work...

comma 15w--40 /5litres...£14.99

Edited by ditchman

im running mine on comma 15w-40 pure mineral oil........nice and quiet...and being slightly thicker higher compression when cold...................if you want to knock yer shells out use semi sinthetic...........it dont work...

comma 15w--40 /5litres...£14.99

Thats the one ditchman, just like the old Duckhams.

well iv been a busy boy today so bare with me while i upload all the photos i know you nutters gag for :lol::lol:

so i started of with the oil filter, took the old filter out binned it,new one ordered, stripped all the paint of down to the knackers, primed and painted :yes:

post-9513-0-16740500-1461521600_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-65569200-1461521610_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

what the **** is going on here, i put the last series of photos up as they were done, from start to finish, but the photos came up as finished product first, so i deleted them and did it the other way round, finished product first thinking pw would do it the wrong way as before, it didnt, so once again there back to front :no: not that it really matters

anyway, then found this, i dont know what its called but i know it goes on the bulkhead for the steering column to go through :lol:

post-9513-0-12240100-1461521983_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-93071200-1461521991_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-73703200-1461522022_thumb.jpg

almost forgot, yesterday i tried the radiator panel on for size to to make sure it all fit properly,

taken it back off now until iv smartened up the radiator :good::good:

i know it looks a different color but its not, its just the rad panel is in the light and the bulkheads not, :yes:

post-9513-0-12749600-1461523324_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-15610900-1461523332_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

you have been a busy boy................

QUESTION'S

1. you said you painted the exhaust manifold with heat resitant paint....what paint are you using...im using a spray ..then baking it in the oven at 250deg
  2. Do you think it is a good idea to paint all the aluminium bits ..like on the oil filter housing etc...if you are going to sell this, the way you are going about it will get you top dollar...but sometimes buyers can be a bit picky :hmm:
  3. check what grade oil you need to use for the air cleaner..(cause ive forgot) :oops::hmm:

you are deffo my hero...........for a mechanical numpty to even think about doing this.........and you have got this far and still the same quality and attention to detail.........

i take my hat off ...as do all the other watchers do...to you........well done mate.. :good::good::good::good::good::good::good: