Water filtration.

Pistol p

Can anybody suggest or recommend a whole house water filtration system? We have problems with scale and will be looking to fit a serviceable cartridge type set up to the main pipe just after the stop cock. The house is average size three bedroom with a combi boiler, the water pressure is very good. Any input would be appreciated.

A combi mate will be your cheapest option but it will restrict the flow of water a bit. You could fit a Liff filter cartridge with the silphos balls inside, better water flow as its connection size is as big as you want and it's a larger canister for the media to work.

Edited by figgy

Whether you go for the siliphos-type cartridge system or the full softener route, you should have a drinking water tap direct off the incoming mains.

If you have a real problem with scale, I would recommend a softener rather than a cartridge filter, as it will work out cheaper in the long run, plus it will solve the problem completely rather than disguise the symptoms. They are pretty simple to fit, if slightly more complex than fitting an inline filter (you need a bypass and a drain line).

I have never come across an electronic or magnetic "softener" that did anything other than consume electricity and enrich the salesmen, not have I seen any properly-conducted, peer-reviewed evaluations that have indicated otherwise. And that is in nearly 30 years in the water treatment industry - if I thought they worked, I'd sell them. In my (professional) opinion, they don't.

I have a tapworks softener fitted. You can definitely tell the difference in the water when having a shower.As was said earlier you must have a direct cold for drinking water.I have a combi boiler and do not notice any loss of pressure in fact the shower comes straight off the boiler and has one of them big dousing heads.had one of those magnet things fitted in one of the other houses and the boiler clogged up after two and a half years so would agree with other comments that they do not work.atb