Cartridge sizes

Chrissmith0881

I am due to go goose shooting at the start of December with a group of friends up to David virtue on Scottish boarders. It will be the first time any of us has shot geese and just wondered what the general opinions are on size of cartridges to take? I have read different things on Internet some say 36g 3 will do others say min 50g 1 so would be good to see what people on here think. Many thanks

It depends on what you are doing , shooting over decoys or on the foreshore .

If shooting over decoys on stubbles I would choose something in a size 3 or 4 34-36 grams in lead or a 36 gram steel 2 .

If on the foreshore you are limited to steel and I would choose a minimum 36gram steel 1 or 42gram BB if you have a 3.5" chambered gun.

Edited by fenboy

You can use lead shot in Scotland so long as it's not over water (check with your guide). If that's the case, then No.3 shot might do the job, especially if it's at close range over decoys.

If you're using steel shot, then the rule of thumb is that you have to go "up" two sizes to get the same hit (e.g. No. 1 shot substitutes for No. 3, BB for No. 2 etc)

In England, you're always restricted to non-toxic shot whenever shooting waterfowl (Geese ducks etc.) so most of us use steel shot No.1 or BB for geese, although there are other more costly alternatives.

I think I'm in the majority when I tell you I use the Gamebore Mammoths in either No.1 or BB (steel) for Geese (3.5" if you have the gun to take them).

Having said that, if you ask 10 people on this group their preference, you'll probably get 11 replies!

Have fun

I am due to go goose shooting at the start of December with a group of friends up to David virtue on Scottish boarders. It will be the first time any of us has shot geese and just wondered what the general opinions are on size of cartridges to take? I have read different things on Internet some say 36g 3 will do others say min 50g 1 so would be good to see what people on here think. Many thanks

if your shooting with virtue its mostly inland yeh?...a would just get some 3s in 36g eley lightnings fella or 1s...atb DT.

If going with Dave........ You can be in England one morning, and Scotland the next! Take steel and lead. Lead 36-42 gram 3/2's are perfect for decoying in LEAD. STEEL use 1's to BBB my preference would be 3.5" game bore mammoth BB in steel. Stick your mod/half choke in and have fun. you will have a good time with Dave cracking bloke

Travelling up to shoot with David Virtue next week - (first time I have ever paid for Goose shooting).

Have a load of Express 3" lead 2's - They are no use in England now so they will be used next week

Have had a couple of trips with him, would be interseted to see how you get on