Question for gas plumbers

fielddweller

System won't fill and when you try it goes out of the copper pipe outside.I spoke to a plumber who told me that but he can't do the job for over a week and I forgot to ask the cost.

Cheers Rupert but don't fancy that.

Fielddweller

Guessing you have checked that the red top part is seat correctly and not raised/mid position. Worth spinning that around and checking it's locked in if not already done so.

Greenstar 30 cdi or the older 30cdi.? The newer ones you just flip the lever up a few times and it might re seat. They are fairly easy to do. If its a greenstar then the valves work well so I'd probably charge 70quid plus vat supplied and fitted.

Many thanks that's what I wanted to know

Cheers

Fielddweller

It is quite unusual for it just to "go" though as its a very basic part that doesn't do anything until its 3bar pressure ( apart from being held shut by a spring)Most of the time when they leak or pass is when someone's used it to drain the system, over pressurised the boiler when re filling the system or if there is a faulty pressure vessel or heat exchanger.

2nd that my wife did the opposite and filled the system up last year but didn't close filling loop properly

It is quite unusual for it just to "go" though as its a very basic part that doesn't do anything until its 3bar pressure ( apart from being held shut by a spring)Most of the time when they leak or pass is when someone's used it to drain the system, over pressurised the boiler when re filling the system or if there is a faulty pressure vessel or heat exchanger.

Yep these points exactly

Hence my question but alas has gone un noticed!

Edited by LondonLuke

Yep these points exactly

Hence my question but alas has gone un noticed!

Luke

It has not gone un noticed.I am not confident in even taking the cover off the boiler let alone doing anything with it.I am far from rich but would just like a qualified engineer to come and fix it.my opening post was just to get an approx cost of what I will have to pay.

Many thanks for your input

Fielddweller

No don't do it yourself the greenstar cdi prv is at the back of the water manifolds and you have to remove the whole manifold system to change. Despite what the instructions say it never comes out as one unit and you always end up disturbing a o ring that then needs replacing. Trust me it can be swine of a job and one that always makes me take a deep breath and count to 10 at least once during the job.

I would be doubly sure the prv needed changing before starting that job

Luke

It has not gone un noticed.I am not confident in even taking the cover off the boiler let alone doing anything with it.I am far from rich but would just like a qualified engineer to come and fix it.my opening post was just to get an approx cost of what I will have to pay.

Many thanks for your input

Fielddweller

I am only trying to save you a call out

The PRV is a mechanism which often gets stuck on open, thus when you fill the boiler, it will pour straight out he pipe

It looks like the below - it would be worth twisting the top to check it is seated correctly

As you turn it you will notice it rises and falls, you want to leave it in one of the falls and then try and refill and see if the pressure garage rises

Looks like this.....

pressure-relief-valve.jpg

Edited by LondonLuke

Spot on.

No point just changing the prv if the vessel is faulty as it will just blow again. Once it blows the prv can be a pain to reseat.

I am only trying to save you a call out

The PRV is a mechanism which often gets stuck on open, thus when you fill the boiler, it will pour straight out he pipe

It looks like the below - it would be worth twisting the top to check it is seated correctly

As you turn it you will notice it rises and falls, you want to leave it in one of the falls and then try and refill and see if the pressure garage rises

Looks like this.....//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=322372&p=2919952&md5check=26774be9dc7d8792ca0be9b80be2d4a9&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,1hZbF71cUjI');

//]]>pressure-relief-valve.jpg

Luke

Sorry for my ignorance but where is it? I've taken the front cover off and can't see any thing that looks like that.

Cheers

Fielddweller

The only way to see the valve on that model is to take the boiler off the wall. Otherwise it is a case of complete removal of all the water manifold section, basically everything at the bottom of the boiler.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you are in over your head based on the questions you have asked. Pay a gas engineer to visit your property.

Luke

Sorry for my ignorance but where is it? I've taken the front cover off and can't see any thing that looks like that.

Cheers

Fielddweller

From memory I thought it was at the bottom right and you may be able to see it from below rather than taking the cover off altogether? We do work on a lot though so a heavy disclaimer with that but should be visible

The only way to see the valve on that model is to take the boiler off the wall. Otherwise it is a case of complete removal of all the water manifold section, basically everything at the bottom of the boiler.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you are in over your head based on the questions you have asked. Pay a gas engineer to visit your property.

Cueball totally agree, I want to pay just wanted a ball park figure.Londonluke has tried to save me a few quid which I appreciate but I am out of my depth.

Cheers

Fielddweller

That's the one posted by silver pigeon if its a greenstar cdi. They can be changed no problem. Done loads of them and can be done in 30mins to 1 hour including having a brew.

. Isolate boiler using valves. Put drain off on plastic drain off or let it drain via the prv. Pull prv to brass fitting down (plastic thing underneath) Pull sping clip to the left and pull out old prv. Insert new prv with new o ring and loads of silicone grease.Slide the spring clip back across, Push up plastic to brass thing, Re fill and check for leaks.

The junior or the si can be a pig as the spring slides to the right and you can't get it to slide back over as you can't get your hand to it, so the whole pump and manifold has to be taken out which is a pig.

Is it a greenstar or the old 30cdi with a grey fascia?

Edited by Del T