Moose - something a little different

Liamey

The calf was taken a few weeks back by my trusty 45-70 Remlin. With thick brush, and close stands of trees I tend to use iron sights. The shot was taken approx 100 yards. I am fortunate in that I am almost able to secure a tag each year, which is gained through a lottery system. This year I had a Bull or calf only. Given that a mature Bull is not fit to eat this time of year I took the calf.

Nicely done buddy. They are massive animals. Would this have been shot in Northern Ontario?

Sorry just seen this now, the calf was shot in Newfoundland, an island east of Ontario. You are right in that that they can grow to some size, just this baby took much lugging to bring it to the nearest woods road. Next time I will probably enlist some help to make things go a little quicker!

Sorry just seen this now, the calf was shot in Newfoundland, an island east of Ontario. You are right in that that they can grow to some size, just this baby took much lugging to bring it to the nearest woods road. Next time I will probably enlist some help to make things go a little quicker!

Cheers mate. I have family in Ontario and have been over 5 times (though never to shoot). Canada is a gorgeous country and so vast. We were over last year and contemplated getting the bus from Canmore to Hamilton until we realised it was a 50 hour trip. Opted for flying instead. :lol:

Cheers mate. I have family in Ontario and have been over 5 times (though never to shoot). Canada is a gorgeous country and so vast. We were over last year and contemplated getting the bus from Canmore to Hamilton until we realised it was a 50 hour trip. Opted for flying instead. :lol:

Canmore has to be one of my favorite places, go every year about 3-1/2 hrs south west of me here in Edmonton, Gods Country for sure.

TLE

Well done that calf looks big what weight would a bull moose be and are you on your own to carry out

Thanks, the moose aren't as big as the Alaskan ones, but can go to about 1150 lbs, luckily for me this was just a calf as it still took a few hours to quarter and bring to the nearest woods road.

Canmore has to be one of my favorite places, go every year about 3-1/2 hrs south west of me here in Edmonton, Gods Country for sure.

TLE

My uncle used to work in Banff so we stayed in Canmore and did a bit of exploring. Absolutely stunning scenery. There is a disused airfield close to Banff where we saw a good few Elk...some big old animals.