rookie timing problem?

Conygree

Its nearly that time of the year again but after last year I felt a bit rotten with my high numbers when asked to shoot branchers by the keeper. As rooks are graded a pest but they are very devoted perents and by shooting adults this time of the year means the young will starve. I need a bit of advise on both the legal aspect timing etc and good field practice shooting code to follow as I have to cover a large estate with say 8-rookeries. Many thanks in advance for any advise. :good:

As rooks are graded a pest but they are very devoted perents and by shooting adults this time of the year means the young will starve.

So are rats but I'm sure you wouldn't afford them the same guilt twinges. What are you man or mouse! :good: Get stuck into them. There's way too many and farmer will certainly thank you for getting the numbers down. There's no restrictions on when you can shoot them, they are designated a pest and can be shot all year round. If your hearts really not in it perhaps you should look for another job!

As rooks are graded a pest but they are very devoted perents and by shooting adults this time of the year means the young will starve.

So are rats but I'm sure you wouldn't afford them the same guilt twinges. What are you man or mouse! :good: Get stuck into them. There's way too many and farmer will certainly thank you for getting the numbers down. There's no restrictions on when you can shoot them, they are designated a pest and can be shot all year round. If your hearts really not in it perhaps you should look for another job!

I always shoot rooks when i am in a pigeon hide. I also shoot the young on the outside of the nests in early May with a .22 rifle. They are an agrigultural pest. However i once approached a farmer to shoot a rookery he turned me down stateing he also used to shoot them following the plough carrying a shotgun in the tractor. Upon shooting two one day he discovered there mouths where full of "wireworm". He hasn,t shot any since. So they don,t do all bad.

"Its nearly that time of the year again but after last year I felt a bit rotten with my high numbers when asked to shoot branchers by the keeper"

WHY?????

they are classed as a pest species, and if requested to shoot them that it what you must do matey....if you dont...someone else will, theres nothing as sure as that....................the legal aspect.....as long as you are on land you have permission on, and are not shooting anywhere near a road or [public highway......then then crack on.

failing that you could always climb up into the trees, gather the babies in your bosom and gently ask the rest to fly away into the sunset to another wood......... :good::good::good:

dont be big girls blowse...and get amongst it ;):D:lol::P:lol:

Its nearly that time of the year again but after last year I felt a bit rotten with my high numbers when asked to shoot branchers by the keeper. As rooks are graded a pest but they are very devoted perents and by shooting adults this time of the year means the young will starve. I need a bit of advise on both the legal aspect timing etc and good field practice shooting code to follow as I have to cover a large estate with say 8-rookeries. Many thanks in advance for any advise. :good:

Love the reaction chaps, part of the problem is there are 3 roosts near roads, life being so someone could report me if I was outside the law and good practice. last year with my son we shot say 150 with air rifles, this time with shotties its so easy - shot 5 for 6 carts for a quick shot yesterday. With squirrels and rabbits there is a bit of a hunt to it with 150 so far this year - no probs. With mixy I feel I am doing the bunnies a service and with squirrels more of a conservation aspect - so I shoot the lot. :good:

I always shoot rooks when i am in a pigeon hide. I also shoot the young on the outside of the nests in early May with a .22 rifle. They are an agrigultural pest. However i once approached a farmer to shoot a rookery he turned me down stateing he also used to shoot them following the plough carrying a shotgun in the tractor. Upon shooting two one day he discovered there mouths where full of "wireworm". He hasn,t shot any since. So they don,t do all bad.

You shoot rooks off the nest with a rifle :good: Let me know when so I can avoid the area, in fact let us all know. How bloody dangerous is that?

Agreed rooks don't do as much damage as people think and do clear up a lot of field pests and bugs but when you see the damage they do to a newly sown crop and the numbers that do it then you appreciate they need culling.

as soon as i get my exam over me tomorrow week ill be out with my rookerie hat on. have done a lot of recon the past few months and have a whole copy book page full of rookeries i can shoot. :good: rooks just love pulling up freshly sprouted grass seed, barley, vegetables etc in their search for those wirewirms you talk about. if you feel really bad about it why dont you wait a week or two and cull the branchers when they come out of the nests for a few days before they leave. that way youll be doing as the farmer says and keeping numbers down yet you wont have starving young to worry your concious because theyll be lying on the ground at your feet!.

this is a good responce - many thanks. Part of the problem is it pest or myth - so I need to know the extent of the pest-tag to feel comfortable banging away. As lad I was shocked on the size of a woodies crop = to a chickens crop, so no prob there. I just need to know before I let my son out with a case of 12g carts this weekend. :good:

Years ago rat shooting extended to water-rats, I know people who belived they were doing a good job by clearing a few miles of water-rats from a canal and river banks - how times have changed + a new common name - water vole. :good:

With vermin control on the estate being as good as practical by shooting the small bird life is very good with no nest boxes but compared to a large city council owned wood I often work, its full of nest boxes but with maggies and squirrels not controlled there is practically no small bird life. :good:

Interesting stuff. As a newcomer is it possible to shoot rooks with an air rifle. I have a BSA Elite (CA).

As a chef they can be good to eat i can tell you. so any of yous out there wanna give me your rooks feel free.

Ta chaps, look forward to lots of rookies on my door step :good::good:

Shooting rooks with a .22 ON THE GROUND yes, in trees what about a SAFE BACKSTOP!!!

Not sure what you mean about back stop

Shooting rooks with a .22 ON THE GROUND yes, in trees what about a SAFE BACKSTOP!!!

Not sure what you mean about back stop

and your advice would be young squealer?:good:?? :good: