Hybrid

fat_jay

Anyone gone down the hybrid route?

The golf goes back in march and i am considering a hybrid, they price well on the nhs fleet scheme, and will potentially bring down the cost of my daily commute.

Had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV on trial last week, and it was actually far better than i expected, not at all like a milk float!

The next one i have booked for trial is a Merc C class 350e.

Anyone bit the bullet and gone all Dolphin friendly??

Jay

I was going down to Surrey with work the other week, and stopped at Warwick services. Horrible wet day.

While inside, in the warm, drinking my coffee, I was watching someone with a Outlander PHEV trying to get the charging thingy outside to work.

He was still there, sopping wet, when I left.

Maybe I'm a sicko, but I found it hilarious.

Try looking at value after 3 years ! Might shock you.

Not concerned with that as its a lease car.

Do a search on here for my i8 thread called "I have fallen in love'

Yes I have seen that, the i8 looks amazing unfortunately it's too expensive for me. Swaying towards the Merc C Class 350e estate. Heavy beast with the batteries, but just shy of 300 horses and sub 6 second 0-60 it gets along reasonably swiftly! Downside is a 9 month lead time on it as they are very behind in the factory.

If I understand it correctly Hybrids recharge their own batteries and rely on a combustion engine just as much, their main score being in achieving low co2 figures which helps company car taxation as well as RFL charges.

I've read a few owner reports of various makes on Autotrader and they all appear very impressed with excellent reliability and very high mileages being recorded by some too. Toyota are now doing a Hybrid Rav4 with a petrol engine and CVT box which apparently does 50 true miles per gallon, if I was in the market for one I would happily consider that alongside the usual diesel auto's.

Does anyone know (A) how long the batteries last (life span) and (B) is the car beyond economical repair when they need changing? Just curious, they don't interest me at all, just bought another after 6 months of searching.

There is some detrioration of batteries as with any batteries,having a look at the pure electric cars there are nissan leafs out there used by taxi firms with over 100k clocked up,in terms of economical repair probably similar set up with a fossil fuel car when something major breaks at a certain age Edited by westmids1987

There is some detrioration of batteries as with any batteries,having a look at the pure electric cars there are nissan leafs out there used by taxi firms with over 100k clocked up,in terms of economical repair probably similar set up with a fossil fuel car when something major breaks at a certain age

What's the expected lifespan of the batteries, do you know ? With diesel, especially larger ones in 4x4's, 300k isn't unusual, and then it's a matter of fitting a lower mileage used one for a few hundred quid. I would imagine batteries will be expensive?

Can't see the resale value of older electric vehicles being much, but perhaps that's the long term plan, get old vehicles off the road. Just goes to show that all this environment hooha is rubbish, I believe the pollution from actually making a vehicle is equivalent to ten years driving so it's more environmentally friendly to drive an old vehicle ??

What's the expected lifespan of the batteries, do you know ? With diesel, especially larger ones in 4x4's, 300k isn't unusual, and then it's a matter of fitting a lower mileage used one for a few hundred quid. I would imagine batteries will be expensive?

Can't see the resale value of older electric vehicles being much, but perhaps that's the long term plan, get old vehicles off the road. Just goes to show that all this environment hooha is rubbish, I believe the pollution from actually making a vehicle is equivalent to ten years driving so it's more environmentally friendly to drive an old vehicle ??

i don't know the lifespan only just started reading up on the topic,but have found so far quite a few myths surrounding electric cars that don't exist or are exaggerated. I'm looking to lease aswell so resale value not a problem but the depreciation is shocking,but then with far lower running costs month by month year by year cost are still cheaper.Think the myth regarding extra polution in creating batteries was started/fed by top gear,it varies from car to car. Dont get me wrong im not a tree hugging hippie,didnt look at a hybrid for enviro reasons more lower running costs and that instant torque :) . Their certanly not ideal for every driver but the type of driving and amount of miles i do a hybrid will/should be ideal Edited by westmids1987

Does anyone know (A) how long the batteries last (life span) and (B) is the car beyond economical repair when they need changing? Just curious, they don't interest me at all, just bought another after 6 months of searching.

I recall reading a review of a Honda Jazz Hybrid bought by a driving instructor who clocked 167000 miles in it with no issues before selling it on, he totally raved about the car as well as the dual power train.