A most memorable Boxing Day Moon Flight

Ttfjlc

My dad and I went for a moon flight but being in Norfolk we knew we had to finish by midnight. Got to the car park around 4 pm, surprisingly we were the only ones there. Had a good trek to get to a decent spot by which time I had a good sweat on which I knew I'd pay for later, there was a good strong wind with plenty of cloud and by 8pm we hadn't seen or heard anything as it was still to dark. By around 9:30 I was starting to think we were wasting our time as the cloud was so thick but within 10 minutes 6 pinks swung from right to left in front of me 40 yards out and I managed to bag my 1st ever moon pink!

Around about 10pm the cloud started to thin helping the moon play its part to light up the marsh and get the geese moving, no big skeins just small groups of 4-12 but the majority of them flew along the edge of the marsh out of range. We didn't have much time left when a group of 10 goose-shaped black silhouettes approached no more than 30 yards up but I had to wait until they were passing in front of me before I heard the first 'wink-wink' to which 2 geese fell for 3 shots. All 3 geese were retrieved by Ronnie then my dad called to say best start packing up by which time more and more geese in bigger skeins started to take flight and it was as if they knew they were safe as one skein flew no more than 25 yards high over our heads!

Talk about highs and lows of wildfowling, at one point I was thinking this was going to be blank flight number 6 then within a couple of hours I had my first 3 moon flight geese. Anyway sorry for the long-winded post but it's not very often I have the opportunity to do so! Happy New Year all.

PS: Many thanks to figgy, stevo and fenboy for ALL of their help and advice on guns, cartridges and chokes. I used my new Beretta Xtrema 2 for the moon flight with a kicks high flyer full choke using a mix of eley lightnings 36g 1s and Gamebore mammoths 42g bb's to good effect, cheers again guys.

Well done to you and your dad , something you will never forget and may you both have many more to come , Happy new year to you and your dad .

Thanks marsh man, hopefully we do have many more for the comical value! My dad had thought that I hadn't seen the skein I dropped 2 out of since I shot so late.

Well done on a successful flight, but ****** you got there early!

In all fairness pal we were trying to be greedy and catch the evening flight as well to make a good go of it. Unfortunately we were a little too late for that so ended up waiting it out for A LOT longer than we were both expecting! :lol: