Joining the Army

Butchers Dog

butchers erm the spelling is INFANTARY do your self a favour m8 go for a trade in the army not for the infantary so at least when you come out you can do something with no problems a m8 of mine joined the scalys (signals) as a lines man he is now making a small fortune laying fiber optics cables for a telecomunications company abroad the last i heard from him he was out in the virgin islands for 6 months

HI DC

Firstly don't listen to the recruitment sergent. They will just try and badge you in their unit. You need to decide how long you think you might want to be in for, the min is 3 and the max is normally 22 yrs. If you are planning a short stay ie 3-6yrs find out what that regiment has on its calender for the forth coming few years. ie posting to Germany for 12yrs, 18 month tour to NI, and so on. If its action and adventure you want join the marines or paras. Its touch but worthy.

With regard to a trade only do a trade that is totally worth while. Don't join as a driver for the trade sake as you can get your licence in civi street for £400 and you will spend your Army days in the rear with the gear and triping troops from the ranges each day. Signals are good for a trade so are the engineers. Be careful not to go for a trade that niche in civvi street such as bomb squad, armourour, etc... Check out the REME if your bright they produce really good sparks.

I done seven in the cavalry and loved it and sometimes hated it but it is what you make it. Didn't learn a trade but was young enough to get one when i came out.

Email me any questions and i will help as much as i can.

Good luck.

Cakie

Guest Mr Pieman

A close friend of mine is about to retire from the Royal Vetinary Corps - he's the Regemental Sargeant Major. You could join as a dog handler or trainer. Lots of skills to learn, outdoors a lot and a free dog!! <_<

Don't worry, Butchers Dog, whatever you do in the mob, you will get to fire guns!

You mention your 'parent' (one?).

Remember, you might be all they have in life!

A usefull civvy trade at the end, is the most important thing!

no i am not the only thing in mi mums life(dad snuffed it last year R.I.P <_< ).

if she cared about me why the **** is she chucking me out of the house asap.

just beacause i cant get along with her phat b****** husband .

i am wanting to stop in as long as i can 22 years etc... then when i come out i want another job something like a hgv driver. nowt to actives ill be goin on 40 ish and at that age ppl should be slowly starting to ease off their work load( <_<<_<<_< )

i have got no gcse's as i dont go to school any more. its not due to health reasons but to the atmosphere at skool. as ppl start fights with me and i loose it when they hit me so i re-arange their faces's <_<<_<

if i joined now (16) could i do my basic training(12 weeks or so)then i would be 17 but need to pass another year till im 18 when i can join the INFANTRY with out getting a parent signigture .

what can i do to pass the spare year by can i do more training or what??

regs scott

hi BD,

if you cant get in for a while due to restrictions how about joining a cadet force?

You will make friends easily as they are all into what you want to do and you will find out what army life is like. You will have a better chance of getting in if your CV has loads of armyish things on it. In the cadets you can get promoted to the non comissioned ranks. (such as cpl,sgt) If you do get promoted in the cadets you will have a good chance of becoming a junior leader when you join your local battalion.

I have been going to air cadets (ATC) for 3 years and i love it! I am a sergeant therefore get many privilges. Even though it is air cadets we do loads of field craft, shooting and best of all- Night exercises!

I am planning on joining the Parachute regiment as an officer becuase I got good enough GCSEs and am doing a levels at the moment.

If you join cadets you can get BTECs which are VERY good qualifications (i think they r higher than GCSES but lower than A levels). An air cadet got into a senior mangment coarse because he had 1 BTEC. The interviewer asked him what GCSEs he had got and the boy sed none but showed him his BTEC award- they signed him onto the course straight away.

I am starting a BTEC award at cadets on 'aviation engineering' it sounds very posh and proper but all it is the overall amount of exams that we have to take anyway!!

hope that helps,

tody

its allgood n well buti dont want to be an officer or anything like that. maybe at the most troop leader or what ever they call that.but all i want to do it get out of my house and make a fresh start in the army.i am willing to devote all my time effort and anything i need to to get into the army. ive always wanted to join the army/infantry and become a sniper.

how do you get into the sas and other regiments like that. is it a case of being scouted by them or summut ive tried to ask the recruitment office online but they send back stuff about alsorts other than the answer to the intended question..

im not trying to sound soppy or owt but ive had a **** life so far with mi father dieing and being frown out bi mi mother, moving house from a very rural part of yorkshire to a smell out skirts of a town, and i need to leave it behind and make a fresh.

regards scott

wot ever you do, dont go to the recruitment office saying you want to go into the sas!! They will turn you down immediatly, thinking you just want to get in becuase you have a big ego. - I know myself becuase i hav had trouble explaining that i want to go in to the para's for the life, not for the berret!!

Im not just saying cadets is only good if you want to go as an officer, it will open your eyes to what army life is like!- not just the shooting and beer with your m8s, but the ******** involved aswell. (Im not trying to discourage you by the way <_< )

tody

nothey dont have any i asked ages ago.

thanks all im off to the careers office tomorrow. plus i rang and asked if when it gets a few years off me leaving (age 30 or what so)i asked if i can change jobs and learn the driving trade and they said yes so that means i can crack on with training to be my ambition a sniper and then when im a bit past crawling through mud and trying to stop an argument between 2 foreign chaps over a loaf of bread ill do the driving course and leave the army, and take the easy life in a hgv lorry

lol

many regards on the info you've suppplyed me with, its been much helpful

cheers

scotty <_< lol