UK Pricing of Tech

Fuji Shooter

Browning is quite right sales tax in Florida for example is 6.5% which equates go £260 odd.

Also, other states have sales tax up to about 10%.

However all will still be cheaper, a lot of the American corporate strategy is pile it high and sell it cheap, completist different in the UK except shops like poundland.

Best Buy tried it....

We can't win, pile it high sell it cheap and folks complain about service, charge a bit more and everyone bleats they are getting ripped off..

I remember the Best Buy failed market launch, we engaged with them at the time with a view to being the returns and repair partner. I got a phone call out of the blue one day from their regional director.

I think it is more than a service issue with the pile 'em high and flog 'em cheap mentality, as you mentioned in your first post it is simply a lack of volume in sales.

In the case of Best Buy they were also trying to find a foothold in an already over populated market at the start of what was to be the the biggest economic downturn of 70 years. Their approach to the UK seemed to be as random as their approach to me!!

Edited by grrclark

Looking to buy a new Nikon D5 body which was announced last week.

Cost in the USA - £4,400 - Cost in the UK - £5200

That is a big chuck of change difference but I don't really fancy a grey import. Why do you think the cost difference is so great to us?

VAT @ 20% gives £5280

:-(

Nial