Why are UK shooters so apathetic?

Scully

Reading through the 'lead shot campaign' thread concerning the request for shooters to sign a pledge of compliance I wondered just how many had signed. Whatever your opinion of the value of such things, since the thread was started in June of 2013 ( over two and a half years ago ) only 14,177 shooters have signed.

A thread started in Nov 2015 ( less than four months ago ) concerning a petition to keep lead shot has so far attracted 22,766 signatures.

According to figures ont tinternet there was, on the 31st March 2013, 582,923 SGC's on issue.

Less than 2% of UK shooters responded to appeals by UK shooting organisations to lobby, following the shootings in Cumbria.

Why?

I signed it but lets be honest its pretty meaningless , chances are the ones that will sign it are the ones who are not breaking the laws on using lead anyway .

Those that are breaking the law could not care less and will continue to do so until lead is no longer available.

Until the lead ban is enforced by the authorities then nothing much is going to change , how many people have been prosecuted for non compliance ?

Not many if any I wager .

Those that insist on using lead on wildfowl just do not consider the bigger picture .

I don't think it is just UK shooters Scully, I think that in general the UK populace is generally apathetic, almost dangerously so. My own gut feeling on this is because we have got it far too easy and take things for granted, something I have touched on in comments before, but way too of topic for this thread.

We have an absolute surfeit of moaners, whingers and complainers who vent aplenty on social media, but if actually pressed to do something meaningful they shrink away.

I signed the petition, but honestly feel that it is nothing more than a gesture. I prefer to take a more active approach and will write or speak directly to politicians/government to make a point.

We have an absolute surfeit of moaners, whingers and complainers who vent aplenty on social media, but if actually pressed to do something meaningful they shrink away. Quite. I know more than a few.

I prefer to take a more active approach and will write or speak directly to politicians/government to make a point. Good for you; so do I.

As previously said, the whole UK population is living in a dangerous state of apathy where people just cannot be bothered to take action, prefering to moan like a limp bit of fish. This applies to every strand of UK life, it is too easy to exist in this country taking what you are given and dopping your cap to Capt Cameron.

It is so easy to comunicate these days, there is no excuse not to make your view heard. With the EU farce legislation on the table I just wrote a letter and the copy and pasted it to the different MPs and MEPs.

Shooters are apathetic and divided, which doesn't bode well for our sport which we ALL participate in.