Anschutz 1416 vs 1417

johnytxtc

Hello,

I've been considering one of Anschutz's bolt action .22lr and during an online search have come across the 1416 and the 1417. There are some obvious differences like the barrel length but when I look into some of the finer details I'm finding contradictory information. For example some sites say the 1417 has a two stage trigger and others say one stage. I've been on Anschutz's website but the 1417 is not really featured, has the 1416 proceeded the 1417? Ideally I'm looking for a version with a two stage trigger and thumbhole stock. Any one own either of these, how do you get on with them?

Edited by johnytxtc

I have just bought a 1517 TH HMR LH Stock RH Bolt and a 2 stage trigger, I have had 2 others and they have both been single stage. I get on fine with both but the 2 stage it is very very sweet just like the rifle, you will not be dissapointed the TH adds loads to the handling. You would probably have to order one with a 2 stage as most seem to be single but mine proves they are available. Mine breaks at just over 1 1/2 lb 2nd stage.

i am on my third annie,sorry fourth with the hmr,my latest is a 1416/1417 hybrid,with two stage trigger,i wanted one with a 16" barrel and thumbhole stock ,but neither 16/17 come with one,so my rfd ordered a 16 with two stage trigger and 17 in,chopped the barrel on the 1416 to 16",then put that barrel and action in the thumbhole stock,bingo perfect best of both worlds,if you want a two stage trigger make sure you ask for one,although i thought the 1417 came with one as standard,the 1417 is the same as a 1416,but with shorter barrel and two stage trigger

Hi Johny.

I am shooting a 1417 and yes it has a two stage adjustable trigger.

It is a sweet rifle, and works well with Eley subs, although I got hold of some Lapua SKs HP and there was a marked improvement.

Tried to get some more, but now stopped production of the round apparently.

May try some Lapua Centre-X one day.

The bolt on the rifle is noisy and stiff from new, but after 500 or so rounds this soon smooths out.

Its a good rifle all round, very pleased with mine, hope this helps :good:

Hi Rimfireboy.

Just curios, what ammo suits yours, have you tried many brands through her ?

So far I have tried..Winchester Subs,.......CCIs..........Eleys........and Lapua SKs.

Winchester was spread.

CCIs were not much better.

Eleys are very good.

Lapua SKs were excellent very tight.

Would like to try some RWS through her too but my RFD does not stock them :no:

I can get hold of Lapua Centre-X and may try those too.

Edited by 1 shot willie

It would be easier to list the ammo that I haven't tried in the 1417.

Reduced loads, i found rws z lang to be the most accurate, even out to fifty yards. I only put three in the ten round clip though, or they can 'stack' up on each other due to the spring pressure. These have worked much better for me than most other reduced loads.

Subsonic loads, the most accurate I've tried have been SK's, eleys and rws.

High velocity loads, eley high velocity hp's were spot on, but eley don't seem to do them anymore, which is a shame. RWS high velocity are very accurate in mine, don't use many, but I like to have a few. CCI velocitors aren't bad either, hit very hard but not quiet as accurate as eley and rws hv's.

I have the thumbhole versions of the .22 and the hmr, and the hmr only has a one stage trigger as standard. Whilst the one stage is OK, it is an obvious scam on the part of the supplier.

I eventually bought a two stage trigger to fit the hmr (think it was £65), and can now swap from one gun to the other with no noticeable difference, which is a great advantage.

They are great guns, and are extremely accurate

Be careful how you go about this. There are various triggers which will fit the models already mentioned - 1416, 1417 and 1517. The norm for the latter is single stage. I wanted to put a two stage in my 1517 and took the advice of Anschutz themselves. I acted on it (as did another PW member and I still feel guilty about that as we came to grief financially). The two stage fitted in the 22LR is model No: 5092 and the single stage in the HMR is 5094. Anschutz recommended model No 5098 which I duly bought. It turned out that apart from being very pricey it is far better suited to the target versions of the Anschutz range. I'm not getting any younger and suffice to say I could not control the second stage pressure. Dead weight adjustment reflected that the trigger would not reach the upper limit of 280 grams. Even if it had done so, I firmly believe that this is too light for the more rough and ready of sporting use. Consequently, it might just pay to ensure that if you order the rifle with the two stage installed, or find a single stage one and convert it (quite easy), just ensure that it is the 5092 although, as said, this should be standard in the LR.

These adjust superbly well. By removing the action and using dead weight, the difference - well, there is no difference - between the pull on the LR and the HMR.

Edited by wymberley

• 2 weeks later...