Benelli chokes

eventer1

There are 3 configurations of Optima chokes. Optima and Optima Plus are shown below and Optima HP which has different threading again. Earlier Benellis used Mobil chokes and Optima Plus has the same threading as Mobil so you may be right, but I can't confirm it.

chokesummary88.jpg

Why not email GMK?

Edited by Westward

When looking at flush fitting chokes for a comparison there are two types of crio and optima chokes. On the earlier versions the choke threads started near the top of the choke while on the newer chokes the thread starts about 1/2" from the top of the choke.

I have the 828 and the earlier version of the optima def don't fit the 828, which is a pity as had some old type optima chokes lying around and had to buy new ones for the 828. some forums do say that the chokes are interchangeable as long as you get the right version of the choke, can't confirm this as don't have any Beretta's any longer.

The plus does not mean extended.

Thought there was only Mobil choke then Optima After that the latest choke is Optima HP both available in plus. Will have to have a look.

Just looked online on Beretta and you are correct there are more than one type of optima choke. Optima Plus is only used in 3/12" semi autos and the 471 Silver Hawke Side By Side, designed to handle wildfowl steel loads with thicker walls to add strength.

There are also some obscure chokes used in the past for trap and on early semi autos.

I was told the optima is interchangeable with the Benelli Crio choke, I think the 828U Crio plus is the same as Betetta Optima HP as this is the latest variant in use.

Not confusing at all then :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by figgy

Photo of one of the extended chokes I bought, clearly shows the thread is about 1/2" from the knurled section which is the start of extended part of the choke.

As motty says the plus does not mean its an extended choke, think they got called plus chokes to identify they are a different choke.

To make things more confusing, Benelli label both types of choke as just crio chokes.

post-26115-0-08478400-1454260329_thumb.jpg

edited to add photo and correct due to working off a phone

Edited by BerettaSV10

After looking on aftermarket choke sites like Carlson and Muller chokes these have pictures and measurements. The Crio choke is the same as Beretta Optima.

The Crio Plus is the same as Beretta Optima Plus.

Why can't they just use the Optima HP system and make things simple.

Seems odd that Benelli would use optima bore chokes designed for back bored barrels in a barrel that cannot really be classed as back bored at 18.4 or .725" . Surely the choke will have a step from the skirt to the barrel meaning quite a chunk of the taper section is not used/doing anything.

After market companies are making chokes to suit the Benelli bore dimentions.

I will have to check the skirt size on a beretta optima choke against a Benelli crio choke.